• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i'm so fed up with the 2.4A E0 Socket 478, need help here...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

warlock110

This is the 3rd mobo that i've tried it on, and it continues to leave me with a black sceen, the 2 mobo before that did not support prescott, this Neo2-V clearly indicated that it support prescott, but i'm still here with a black booting sceen.

the mobo is an MSI Neo2-V, anyone having problem like this with an E0 2.4A? do i need a BIOS update? the latest bios update shows that it's supporting more CPU microcode, but what's the point of having a bios update when i can't even see the sceen? :bang head :bang head :bang head it booted fine on my ECS VIA800 chipset mobo, so i know it's not the chip or anything else....

Yea, I have this same motherboard and it's running just fine. Have you looked at the cpu to see if there are any bent pins??? Or make sure everything is plugged in?(the 12v line for the cpu, lol I've done that before) Good luck

PEACE

you have a northwood, i have an E0 prescott, that might make a difference....

Clear the bios real well if you already havent and make sure the ram is in right and the P4 connector is plugged in. And listen for beep codes.

i've swap out everything, i've got 3 different PSU, 3 vid card, 4 different 512MB ram, i can't think of anything else (i've got a few computer around, had to keep spare parts). I just wanna know if the thing will post if it doesn't support the CPU? i've had boards that doesn't support my CPU and it didn't post...

warlock110, I don't have a 2.4 a but when I first installed my 2.8e in my 865 LS with BIOS version 1.9 ( which did not support the Prescott Micro code ) it booted up fine

Hope this helps

Dave

Dcasole said:
warlock110, I don't have a 2.4 a but when I first installed my 2.8e in my 865 LS with BIOS version 1.9 ( which did not support the Prescott Micro code ) it booted up fine

Hope this helps

Dave

it's possible that the board is crapping out. I'll try and buy a cheap northwood celeron to test the board, if it post then i'll flash it to the latest bios. According to MSI, the latest bios was updated to support E0 chip, it seems that the micro code on the E0 is throwing off the board, the E0 chip is different from the D0 i believe.

The E0 Stepping IS different as it supports the new “E0” core stepping hardware instructions and is the first Intel chip to support the NX (No-Execute) bit in hardware and supporting Demand-Based Switching with SpeedStep to deal with thermal issues.

The BIOS must be updated for the hardware support of these functions.

R

warlock110 said:
it's possible that the board is crapping out. I'll try and buy a cheap northwood celeron to test the board, if it post then i'll flash it to the latest bios. According to MSI, the latest bios was updated to support E0 chip, it seems that the micro code on the E0 is throwing off the board, the E0 chip is different from the D0 i believe.

imo its the board yes, as many of the guys said for the mobo to support an E0 cpu u must flash it, or maybe ur unlucky (for the third time) and the mobo is friend or somethin, good luck

i'll pick up a celeron tomorrow, ugg, i got to go look up a car that i'm buying, deffinitely pick up a celeron sometimes tomorrow, i hope its the mobo.

flashing the bios require window and a floppy disc, what a pain :), i'm out of HDD currently, i got to grab the HDD from my 3rd rig that's currently running, install window on that, i'll post back when i flashed it, keep my finger cross. I can't beleive that it would run a D0 but not an E0, this is ####.

OK, big problem, the bios was flashed, it worked ok, i even booted into window, so i swap the chip, no boot, swap back to the celeron, still no boot, both chip would still work on my ECS board. This is got to be the most complicated thing that happened to me. What is the best bet mobo for my chip? i don't wanna flash the bios anymore, and i'm giving up on this MSI, it's going back to newegg.

Not to be an ASUS fANboy but they seem to be the most compatable from a CPU and Memory Standpoint on the 478, esp the 875's

Back