• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cutting up old HS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GML3G0

I was thinking... I have a very old Gateway computer from 1995 with one of those 200MHz Pentium Is. It has a HS but no fan. Can I remove that, cut it up, and put some AS5 on my SouthBridge on my AV8 and then put that HS on top to cool it better? Also, could I put it on my memory on my X800XT? Is it easy to cut up? What will I need?

It's like this one:
heatsink.jpg

a hacksaw will cut it, but use a bandsaw if you can. my concern is the base though, it doesnt look like one flat base, but more like a staircase.

lol, that's not mine, that's just some pic I got off google. Mine is better quality. Well, I'm new to modding, so I don't even have most of the stuff you're talking about. lol hacksaw?

Be sure you have enough clearance for your video card. I've had to shorten fins because of clearance issues.

ugh... "i want to mod, but i have no tools" you dont even know what a hacksaw is.... i would just buy ramsinks if i were you, check the classifieds, i got some nice ones there.

I use hand tools for all of my mods except for when my Flex Shaft drill will do the trick. A hack saw with a diamond encrusted blade will be much quicker than one with a steel blade. Make sure you get that for big straight cuts. For more precise cuts I use thin steel blades which like to snap a lot but work great when they are in once piece :D.

gvblake22 said:
I have also cut up old heatsinks and after much much much sawing with a hacksaw, I dug out the bandsaw :D

cheater, jk

i dont blame you, i cut a socket A HS into 4 pieces, and it took a looong time and a cut thumb. my mosfets are nice and comfy now though

l3ored said:
ugh... "i want to mod, but i have no tools" you dont even know what a hacksaw is.... i would just buy ramsinks if i were you, check the classifieds, i got some nice ones there.

Way to encourage asking questions and learning. That's like a 5 year old saying, "I don't know anything about math, and therefore I am not going to school so I can learn about it!"

On topic, would a Dremel work? If it would work, would it be faster than a hacksaw?

1) Lets all get along.

2) Lets not recommend the classifieds to people with fewer than 100 posts.

I've never used a hacksaw or bandsaw to cut up old HS's but I have used a dremel with a cutting disk. At least on the ones I tried this worked very well.

2) Um, yeh, I didn't notice that either.

Hacksaws aren't that bad if you have a good blade in it, esspecially if you're cutting aluminum. Sounds like some people need to take a trip to Lows and get one. If you are buying a blade, make sure to get one with fine teeth on it. A fine tooth blade makes things do much easier when you are cutting small stuff like fins.

BTW, a hacksaw is just a handsaw that cuts metal.

Back