• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin Blue "new BH" and the Venice... 4x512mb = 2t ONLY?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoldenTiger

I read in an Xbitlabs.com article that the new Venice AMD Athlon 64 CPU's memory controller can only handle four single-sided sticks at 1t command rate. It said that double-sided ones will be forced to run 200mhz 2t. Does that mean it absolutley cannot do it, or can you overclock it anyway? Also, in 2t mode, would I still be able to overclock it past 200mhz or can the Venice's memory controller simply not handle it?

GoldenTiger said:
I read in an Xbitlabs.com article that the new Venice AMD Athlon 64 CPU's memory controller can only handle four single-sided sticks at 1t command rate. It said that double-sided ones will be forced to run 200mhz 2t. Does that mean it absolutley cannot do it, or can you overclock it anyway? Also, in 2t mode, would I still be able to overclock it past 200mhz or can the Venice's memory controller simply not handle it?

i think you read that wrong. it's the winchesters that have this issue, and the venice's are supposed to aleiviate it. :shrug:

from what i understand:

winchester is 4ds sticks @ 166mhz 2t and 4ss sticks @ 200mhz 2t.
venice is 4ds sticks @ 200mhz 2t and 4ss sticks @ 200mhz 1t.

flapperhead said:
the venice mem controller is also supposed to tolerate prommies and vapochils better too. ( i hope i hope)

flapper,

It seems that there are still some problems with extreme cooling per the threads at XS. Some testing was done on a venice chip with some of the extreme cooling and unless they worked it out, it still had some issues. I didn't read the thing very closely (its 19 pages now), as I don't have anything other than air cooling, so I may have missed a resolution.

Then again, how many guys use cascades, right?

See post #457

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57291&page=19&pp=25

Originally Posted by xtrmeocr
from what i understand:

winchester is 4ds sticks @ 166mhz 2t and 4ss sticks @ 200mhz 2t.
venice is 4ds sticks @ 200mhz 2t and 4ss sticks @ 200mhz 1t.

That was also my understanding when I read the article.

I see no reason why you could not overclock beyond 200 with 4 DS sticks, you would just be doing it at 2T which would result in some performance loss when compared to 1T.

Back