• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCD DDR600 on the ASUS A8V

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Revivalist

I just got the OCZ EL DDR PC-4800 Dual Channel Platinum kit and I'm testing it out. But it doesn't seem to be meeting it's advertised specs. First off, the SPD is supposed to be 300MHz at 2.5-4-4-10. But CPU-Z says it's 2.5-6-6-16. Sandra says it's 2.5-6-6-15. And Everest even says its 2.5-7-7-16. (You can see in my screenshot below.)

I think all these are really bad, right?! :shrug:

And when I set the timings to 2.5-4-4-10, I can't get above 290MHz stable.

By the way, I am running it at 2.8V according to it's specs. My motherboard can't run any higher Vdimm for me to experiment with. But already it seems that this RAM isn't meeting it's advertised specs. :(

:welcome:

do you have latest bios flashed ??

please list the rest of your pc and there specs...
also list all voltages...

Xtreme Barton said:
:welcome:

do you have latest bios flashed ??

please list the rest of your pc and there specs...
also list all voltages...
Thanks for the welcome . . .

I'm using the 1009 BIOS. I tried the beta 1011.005 but I didn't see any advantage to it.

My voltages are basically maxed on everything . . .
Vcore = 1.75
Vlink = 2.6
DDR = 2.8
AGP = 1.6

Other settings are . . .
CPU multi.: 8
FSB: 300
HTT: 4x (the board is stable at 325x4=1300HTT --> 2600HTT data rate)
Command rate: 2T

I can't think of any other relevant specs on the system besides what's already in my signature. :)

you should keep the check mark checked that says show signature. so its easier :)

have you tested with 3x htt ?

that sucks that your board cant go above 2.8 vdimm.. thats a hard one.. you know of any mods ?? if there are vdimm mods available you may want to consider. are you sure there getting the 2.85 volts specced ?? your voltage may not be read correctly through bios .. and possibly not getting enough .. just a thought .. wouldnt be surprised if almost everyone had to put vdimm at 2.8 to get it up in that range.. some boards read overvolted some under.. so there's a good chance that it could be that way on your setup ..

Xtreme Barton said:
you should keep the check mark checked that says show signature. so its easier :)

have you tested with 3x htt ?

that sucks that your board cant go above 2.8 vdimm.. thats a hard one.. you know of any mods ?? if there are vdimm mods available you may want to consider. are you sure there getting the 2.85 volts specced ?? your voltage may not be read correctly through bios .. and possibly not getting enough .. just a thought .. wouldnt be surprised if almost everyone had to put vdimm at 2.8 to get it up in that range.. some boards read overvolted some under.. so there's a good chance that it could be that way on your setup ..

Thanks for the suggestions . . .

I'm pretty sure the HTT multi isn't the problem because I've tested the board at 325MHz FSB with a 4x HTT multi on Prime95 for 21 hours without any problems. I've also run for months with 300MHz (4x HTT) without any problem. . .

As for Vdimm mods, the only safe one I know of is the DDR booster from OCZ. But unfortunately it's not compatible with this board. . . . But I figure that if I'm running the memory at the rated voltage then I should be able to still reach the rated speeds. . . Do you think the fact that it's rated at 2.85V and I'm running it at 2.8V would be the reason? But how can we explain the SPD as well? . . . Thanks for the help.

By the way, I always leave the checkmark on "show your signature." Were they missing from prior posts? :)

Last edited:
Xtreme Barton said:
do you have money available for an upgrade ?
What kind of upgrade? I'm pretty happy with my motherboard, CPU, and everything else. So I guess if I have to I'll just run this RAM at whatever speeds this board can handle.

Why don't you at least try dropping the HT back to 3x. If your board truely is stable at Htt300 x 4 you can always move it up. But your o/c is not stable and you are trying to eliminate possible problems. That 4x multi you are using just jumps out at me screaming PROBLEM.

i still think he'll end up at with the same problem though.. you need more vdimm. 2.8 isnt enough to get it going that high..

Xtreme Barton said:
i still think he'll end up at with the same problem though.. you need more vdimm. 2.8 isnt enough to get it going that high..

That is correct,

Most PC4400 and PC4800 Dimms require 2.85v at stock. The OCZ PC4800 needs at least 2.85v to do 600MHz 2.5-4-4-10-1T.

OC-Master

Xtreme Barton said:
i tried asking about 3x htt... but he assured me :D

I did see your earlier post and I saw his assurance.

The thing is, when nearing maximum performance a machine does not always behave to way we expect. I would just like to see him remove that variable while still experimenting with the o/c. If the o/c reaches a point where it is stable running 3x, he can always see if it stays stable at 4x. The actual HT is not that influential on overall performance anyway.

Xtreme Barton said:
can you tell us how you tested for stability using 4x htt ??
Sure. I ran Prime95 for 21 hours without any errors at 325MHz with HTT at 4x. . .

By the way, I think I may have finally found the sweet spot for this RAM on my board . . .

It's overclocked to DDR612 at 3-3-3-5 2T. I still can't set it to 2.5-4-4-10 like it's rated at. I figure it's because I'm not able to run it at 2.85V like it's rated at.

But overall, I'm pretty happy with it.:)

Last edited:
Thanks Xtreme. :)

I just tried running 3x HTT and the system crashed as soon as I set it to 305Mhz! But I'm actually not that surprised. I've heard of this happening to other people as well . . . here's an example.

wouldn't <DDR612 at 3-3-3-5> be faster then <DDR600 at 2.5-4-4-10>???

i'm pretty sure it is faster and better.. try running a memory benchmark "ie: sisoftsanrda or everest" at the same speeds with the same timings and since you can't hit 300 with the rated specs, try the same speeds at like 275mhz or something lower and compair the two results.

ocpinoy said:
wouldn't <DDR612 at 3-3-3-5> be faster then <DDR600 at 2.5-4-4-10>???

i'm pretty sure it is faster and better.. try running a memory benchmark "ie: sisoftsanrda or everest" at the same speeds with the same timings and since you can't hit 300 with the rated specs, try the same speeds at like 275mhz or something lower and compair the two results.

That's a good point. The fastest I can run 2.5-4-4-10 is at 285MHz and it doesn't score as high as DDR612 with 3-3-3-5. So I guess even though I can't run the rated speed, in the end things turned out better! :)

Back