• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chiller work in progress

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dukemurmur

Hey all, this is the first chiller that I have ever made but certainly not the first project like this that I have done I have made a few WB and many other parts...Put this is my first venture into the world of AC/ refrigeration.

I will give you a short outline of the project and the specs of some of the parts. Everything is going to be mounted on a 1/4 inch thick piece of Lexan with another 1/4 inch thick piece of Lexan riveted under it so that it is more rigid. Second the condenser will be mounted in the rear of the box and as a wall for the "box" to rest on in that end so the box will be 8 inches tall like the condenser because of this. The Compressor will be mounted about 6 inches in front of the condenser so that I have room for fans and a shroud. The Al welded res will sit off the right hand as you are looking at the box with the condenser in the rear and then the pump will set in front of that. All the insulation of everything will be belt with Armaflex pipe insulation, blue board, and Armaflex insulation tape. The compressor will be re-gassed with R404a. Now that you have a rough idea of what I am trying to accomplish I will let you guys look at some pics.

Well here you guys go I will have more tomorow

Duke

Nice, although this really should be in extreme cooling.

Out of curiosity, what kind of temps are you looking for? I'm asking 'cause that aluminum reservoir makes me nervous (aluminum doesn't play nice with copper blocks and with a chiller like this you'll be mixing metals big time) and Lexan is spec'd down to -135°C--and since you seem to have plenty of Lexan.... Maybe moulding a Lexan reservoir would be an option?

BTW, I like your shop... I remember when I lived in a house and plenty of room. Fabricating anything in my one-bedroom Manhattan apartment is a real pain :cry:

Well I was going to put it in both EC and the water...then I got lazy...about the Al res there will be about 80% alcohol in this thing with some corrosive inhibitors...and so on and the rest will be water...so corrosion really isn't a worry...about the Lexan my freind has about 5 more 4x8 1/4 inch sheets...but they are rather costly…and that Al res took a LONG as time to weld and drill…and tap…make the top level on the mill…then make the cover…yeah I will stick with the Al res…I was going to make it out of Lexan then I decided against it…I hope to have this done soon so I can start working on the WB for my ram and video card when I get sometime I will post up some pics of my design for you guys

Duke

Last edited:
Back