• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP-90 and fan motor dead spot: an issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Know Nuttin

Hey all.

Has anyone tried to put a spacer in between the heatsink and the fan to reduce/remove the dead spot left by the fan motor on the XP-90/120? If so, has it done anything? I'm curious to see if heatpipe coolers still suffer from this.

its been said that it eliminates the dead spot....but iv never ever seen any proof

Electron Chaser is somewhat of an unusual character :p 220CFM/65dba :eek: :eek:

I'm just curious to see if it does lower temps any, considering the heatpipes are central to the cooling and most of the heat from the CPU is going from the base to heatpipes to fins, not like the traditional style of base to fins.

Know Nuttin said:
Electron Chaser is somewhat of an unusual character :p 220CFM/65dba :eek: :eek:

I'm just curious to see if it does lower temps any, considering the heatpipes are central to the cooling and most of the heat from the CPU is going from the base to heatpipes to fins, not like the traditional style of base to fins.

Hey!!! I resemble that comment. :D

Yes it does help lower temps. Not so much on idle (maybe .5 to 1 C) but definately help drop my load temps a few C. However that only applied when I had the fan in the blow configuration. (I use the suck configuration now I get better temps and my case stays cooler.)

I don't know if you would consider getting another fan but a Delya 3 blade fan has less of a dead spot than the panaflo. (Folks around this forum seem to buy new ram every mont but then only want to spens 99 cents on a fan...:))

I'm waiting on a Delta 92mm 3blade fan, now that you mention it. 87CFM, 47dba. Hope it arrives soon. Ordered it on the weekend. The Panaflo just happened to be the best fan I had around.

Notice that XP-120 has heatpipe in the middle, while XP-90 has not. So if there's inmprovemnt in temps using spacer, with XP-90 it will be not that big as with XP-120. There's also some possibility that temps will be worse (less airflow around pipes), but that's unlikely. However, spacers usually decrease noise, as fan blades don't move so close to heatsink fins. This way you could have higher airflow at same noise level and as result better temperatures.

Ven0m said:
Notice that XP-120 has heatpipe in the middle, while XP-90 has not. So if there's inmprovemnt in temps using spacer, with XP-90 it will be not that big as with XP-120. There's also some possibility that temps will be worse (less airflow around pipes), but that's unlikely. However, spacers usually decrease noise, as fan blades don't move so close to heatsink fins. This way you could have higher airflow at same noise level and as result better temperatures.

yes - less air turbulence :thup:

I'm having hella heat probs w/my IC7-G 3.4 XP90 rig

Plans for beating my deadspot: 1 or 2 TT ducts and 80MM Tornado!
angled to force air into the center of the XP90.

My s*** is heating up now more since its now getting to be >70F***** degrees. I recently got a new set of killer RAM and its OC'ing well, but I'm observing some pretty wierd shtuff after having lapped my XP90 and the VF700 CU I have put on my GF6800 Ultra to replace my stock cooler. Prior to the heat increase of the past few days I'd noticed that before I removed the nickel from the XP90 (lapped using pcviper.net's kit) and used the last polishing compound on the VF700cu before mounting the sinks, in thier original form both load temperatures for CPU and for GPU were reporting at least 2 degrees C cooler.

This being my first lapping job, I was surprised at the finish the kit left on the bottom of the sink, as it was as described; a shiny high polished flat finish on the contact spot. I used a thin layer of AS 5 as described at PCviper.net and left a tiny bead in the center for spread out. When sink applied, I twisted a few degrees each way to get the contact spot covered, and locked it down.

The mobo is reporting the temperatures high I as understand it, but I don't know how high and what temperatures I should'nt be crossing even when taking the 5-7 degrees or so into account. With my new set of OCZ Plat Rev2 PC3200, I was able to manage 215 X 17 for 3655 @ 1:1 2-2-2-5 GAT: A:A:A:D:D Bios R27, board copper sinked. The CPU is was reading ~64.5C at load until yetserday when it was going up to 66.5C.

The system temperature also obviously was greater than it was a week ago too; jumped from ~26-29C to 31~33C. I don't have any board mods except for copper sinking mosfets and North Bridge w/ NB1Cu. I haven't completed the top of my custom acrylic case yet so some of the air is slightly stagnant, but the majority of it is fresh coming in from the window above it.

Back