• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevin_bouchard

Hi
I was browsing through ebays actions when i came across alot of used/new laptop screens for cheap (~15$+shipping cnd) and I want to know if anyone knows how to hook up a laptop screen to a normal desktop pc.
Will I need some kind of lcd controller or can i run it off my current vid card(rage fury pro 32mb vivo)?
If I have to get a controller, where can i buy one and how much do they go for(and if possible how to make one)?
Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Btw If I am not in the right forum category than tell me and i will move it.

Thanks

I don't think it's possible to drive a laptop lcd with a standard card, nor I know about adapters..
Many current desktop LCD need dedicated output (DVI).
Maybe you can found more replies in 'General Hardware' and 'Video and Sound Cards' forums.

I think that was what i was looking for (dvi) I know that there is someone that has hook one up and he said he used a certain adapter (must be the dvi).
thanks

Now I remember! Search on the site under "water cooling"; there is an article on making a silent pc (silentium project) and the writer as an lcd monitor that seems a laptop one. Maybe he's able to give some hint...

ya thats the exact one.
I though i put a link to the page though(guess not)
anyways I did email him a while back after reading his first article and asked him how he did it.
He said he used a certain type of pci card and hooked it up directly to his lcd.
I basicly wanted to know what kind of card that was and if they is anyway of getting around the usage of the card(since they are like 150$, his words).
Now that i know its called a Dvi i am one step closer, but i cant seem to find any pci card without a 200$+ price tag.

I know there are adapters to hook up standard vga monitors to dvi ports, but cant find one for the other way around.
I would buy a new lcd screen but you still need a dvi port and the screen itself is ~500$ compared to ~20$.
well thanks for all the help
:D

Back