• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp-90s on Dual Xeons?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver

Senior Citizen (aka old fart)
I just bought one for my 2.8c and am very impressed. 22c drop over stock cooling. Not water but not that far away either. Has anyone tried mounting these on a dually?

I can get in at 3.2Ghz (1.6 oc) but am not stable and am thinking this may do the trick.

alright whos got the mod skills to do this! I would say that would destroy any air cooler on the market for xeons right now

I'm going to place the order as long as I can still get the discount at svc.

edit: SVC is out of stock.

Last edited:
Let me know if these work! "I'm in the market, as it were" (Pirates of the Carribean) for some good heatsinks to replace the craptastic all aluminum IWTs. I like the coolermaster heatpipes, but 100 dollars seems like a LOT to blow.

Z

zachj said:
Let me know if these work! "I'm in the market, as it were" (Pirates of the Carribean) for some good heatsinks to replace the craptastic all aluminum IWTs. I like the coolermaster heatpipes, but 100 dollars seems like a LOT to blow.

Z

Sure will. Given how well the IWT's work, I would expect some good things if the application can be done.

Any idea of when you'll know? I need to place an order such that it will be at ye olde house when I get back when the semester ends (I go back next sunday).

Z

I have no doubt that it can be done. I am doing alot of folding these days so even if it did not I would have an alternate use for them. Given that the pivot for the connecting mechanism located on the sides of the xp-90 is screwed on the addition of mounting brackets to mount similar to a water block would be fairly simple. Who knows, it may be a mounting with no or very little modding. I find it to be a very good mod and therefore will most likely do it. I am working on it. Don't jump the gun. I need a couple of weeks to order, recieve, mod and test. 2 weeks for what may be a very good cooling solution.

I'd love to see this work too, I dont wanna pay for coolermasters and I dont like ghetto rigging my IWT onto the NCCH-DL

Been out and cheap over at SVC. Called Svc tonight to talk w/them as far as getting the heatsinks. Looks like they expect another large order in a couple of days. They told me to wait. Last large order they discounted to clear them.
I figure that given the rather low temps on the IWT's (relatively), the very small improvement of the xp-90c over the xp-90 and the necessity of two very heavy heatsinks on one board (copper), the standard xp-90 should be highly exceptable. I am thinking the zalman fans would provide good 53cfm cooling.

I think temperature-wise, the Xeons aren't going to get all that much cooler. I'm simply looking for a noise reduction, as there's just no tolerating two smart fan II 84cfm fans at full tilt.

Z

Isn't the cpu sockets too close to each other to have that big of a hsf on it? Maybe if the heatpipes on both hsfs were facing each other then there might be enough room. I'm not sure.

They should make xp-80s.

Given that the finned area does not sit square over the actual cpu contact area (i.e. off center) and that an adaption of some sort would be necessary then the heat sinks could be fitted on each cpu as necessary to provide for clearance. I think.....

Back