Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Big mistake with volt mod on video card - Radeon X800XT card!

For any of you gamers who trying to look for more power out of your video cards...DON'T do what this person did to his card. Take a look in this auction found today. Ouch! $650 CDN gone in smoke!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...185118116&rd=1

Saw that auction too. Would be nice if he showed the damage. He just going to give you the card and let you hunt for it yourself? If its a SMD cap or resistor he accidently knocked of Im sure a lot more people would bid on it. But if its like some IC he completely destroyed or let solder run under a BGA ship then its another story.

Ask him to post a closeup image of the damage.
    Unfortunately there is no more FaD :( So FOLD!
    My Heatware

fortunately i never voltmodded my card.if it had went up in smoke, i would have had to pay somewhere not to far away from that much just to replace it.fortunately that clearly isnt the case and its running normally.
    xfx gtx260 @ 700/1500/1150, core 2 extreme qx9650, 2x1gb crucial ballistix pc2 6400, gigabyte p35-ds3p, 74gb raptor, 750w thermaltake toughpower, 22in lcd and razer deathadder+exactmat.

I've emailed to the seller in asking about close-up pix where he made his mistake. I'll let you know in update.

This should make you worry.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My Heatware

That's what I was thinking although since I've never sold on ebay I'd have the big 0 too lol but I've sold 7 parts on this forum. It's cheap.............so the mistake wouldn't cost you too much money at least.

yeah true. I wouldnt be surprised if it jumped up in price a bit though. Unless he shows he unsoldered an IC and destroyed it
    My Heatware

man i would but this if i was in america take the leads and games for $5 you cant go worng
    Intel Pentinum (E2180) 3.0Ghz (Cooling Freezer 7 pro)
    Abit IP35-E
    4GB Super Talent DDR2 800MHz
    ATI HD 3450
    LG GSA-4163B Black 16x16 ±R Dual Layer DVD Writer
    200Gb Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 10/250 GB Samsung Spinpoint
    Coolerrmaster 310
    580W HiperPower Type-R Modular Blue PSU Quiet Dbl Fan
    Creative Labs X-Fi Music

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmage
    man i would but this if i was in america take the leads and games for $5 you cant go worng
    Thats what I was thinking. Also I should probably go get my soldering Iron back from my friend who borrowed it. So that I can volt mod my 9500, since i've nearly finished my cooling upgrades.
    Big changes coming: Intel e4300, DFI Blood iron, Crucial DDR2-8500, ATI x859xt, MCW-6002>Ehiem 1250>Bip3 with 3 nidec beta Vs, Sunbeam Zorro, Corsair 650 watter
    Stuff I should be using but don't: Finally got around to running that stuff.

Ever run a benchmark? support our forums by posting it in the 3dmark team and system benchmarking team sections.
    My heatware

Silence may be golden but performance is platinum

itll probably go for over $100 cause someones gonna try to fix it or be dishonest and rma it

edit: for those who read this post i misread the ati site, i thought a does was a doesnt
    Last edited by TheGreySpectre; 04-12-05 at 05:30 PM.
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron 9300 w 6800go and 1.2 gigs of ram
    Desktop: intel i7-3770, 16Gb Ram, Radeon 7970, 18.5 Tb HD space, Dell 3008 WFP 30"

Quote Originally Posted by P4coffeetime
    For any of you gamers who trying to look for more power out of your video cards...DON'T do what this person did to his card. Take a look in this auction found today. Ouch! $650 CDN gone in smoke!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...185118116&rd=1
    I feel sorry for the guy - damn hope I'll never be in he position...
    For $20 I'd get this card - to use it for soldering practise before I mess around with my soon to arrive X850 ... the heatsink of this card I could use to mod a custum heatplate for a pelt to cool both GPU and ram....

off to place a bid...

Disabled
    well i feel bad for the guy, but he should have known better to not go soldering stuff on a 500$ card with less than adequate skills, what a pity

im thinking if all he tried to do was a vgpu mod and didn't touch the igpu, the card should be fine, maybe he just soldered off the resistor or shorted it

Well, the seller post his reply in answering to someone's question...here's his reply copied below:

"There is no visible damage eccept for a broken r1597 resistor where the vcore mod is done. leaving it will cause a black screen. applying a 10k variable resistor will bring up a screen however with corruptions."

I also got e-mail from him so that's what he said to me...

There is no visible damage on the card. I believe i may have caused some sort of bridge with the solder and may have caused core/mem damage

Now the high bid is at $69.00 ... looks like Overclocker550 might be right what he said - pretty soon!

Former STASIS Guy
    LOL I was hoping to add it to my paperweight collection for <$25.00.
    Oh well.
    [un]Productivity System:
    -Lian Li V1200B Plus & TR-3 Fanbus
    -Swiftech APEX Watercooling / STORM Waterblock
    -PC Power & Cooling TurboCool 510 SLI
    -Asus A8N32 nForce4 SLIx16 Deluxe
    -AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+ (2600MHz "10*260")
    -2GB Corsair ProSeries XMS3500 (1T/CAS 2-3-3-6)
    -XFX 7800GTX Extreme Edition (520/1360)
    Cooled with STASIS IceStorm NV7800C5
    -(2) WD CaviarSE 250GB SATA3G 16MB in RAID0
    -Creative X-Fi Platinum / ATI TV Wonder 550Pro
    -Plextor PX-716AL Slot Loading 16X DVD+RW DL
    -Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 / Monster XPHP CL3 Cables
    -Dell 2005FPW LCD / Monster M500 DVI Cable

Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    someone is just gonna buy it, and then buy another x800 xl and put this in the box and return it to a stoopid store like futureshop or best buy, the oldest trick in the book, (i wont say ive done it for obvious reasons...but)
    ________________________________Heat
    _______________________Shipping to Canada? READ THIS!

Folding User Stats

Quote Originally Posted by jamesavery22
    This should make you worry.
    Perhaps, but keep in mind that somebody has to begin selling sometime.

deception``

Price keeps climking :-) prob all from users of the forum/linky

Quote Originally Posted by deception``
    Perhaps, but keep in mind that somebody has to begin selling sometime.

deception``
    Yeah but if the person is smart you do some buying normal things and selling small things before you sell something that goes for $100+. Get like 5-10 positive feedbacks from sellers to atleast prove you have paypal.

Im not saying this kid is a bad guy. im sure he busted it, asked his friends if he should RMA it, they busted him in the head and said "ebay it and see if some fool will spend a lot of money on it." Seems like they were right too
    My Heatware

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster© Silversinksam's Avatar
    10 Year Badge
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesavery22
    Yeah but if the person is smart you do some buying normal things and selling small things before you sell something that goes for $100+. Get like 5-10 positive feedbacks from sellers to atleast prove you have paypal.

Im not saying this kid is a bad guy. im sure he busted it, asked his friends if he should RMA it, they busted him in the head and said "ebay it and see if some fool will spend a lot of money on it." Seems like they were right too
    At least the seller listed it in the condition it really is. Many times on Ebay, people will list defective or dead items and not mention the fact that it's dead. Then the seller won't refund or replace the item.
    -15 May 2012: On Hiatus helping bees and the planet at the moment

-You have over 101 signatures and Can't see the classifieds??? Click this link.

My Heatware

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast