• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Big mistake with volt mod on video card - Radeon X800XT card!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Saw that auction too. Would be nice if he showed the damage. He just going to give you the card and let you hunt for it yourself? If its a SMD cap or resistor he accidently knocked of Im sure a lot more people would bid on it. But if its like some IC he completely destroyed or let solder run under a BGA ship then its another story.

Ask him to post a closeup image of the damage.

fortunately i never voltmodded my card.if it had went up in smoke, i would have had to pay somewhere not to far away from that much just to replace it.fortunately that clearly isnt the case and its running normally.

That's what I was thinking although since I've never sold on ebay I'd have the big 0 too lol but I've sold 7 parts on this forum. It's cheap.............so the mistake wouldn't cost you too much money at least.

yeah true. I wouldnt be surprised if it jumped up in price a bit though. Unless he shows he unsoldered an IC and destroyed it :D

Blackmage said:
man i would but this if i was in america take the leads and games for $5 you cant go worng

Thats what I was thinking. Also I should probably go get my soldering Iron back from my friend who borrowed it. So that I can volt mod my 9500, since i've nearly finished my cooling upgrades.

edit: for those who read this post i misread the ati site, i thought a does was a doesnt

Last edited:
P4coffeetime said:
For any of you gamers who trying to look for more power out of your video cards...DON'T do what this person did to his card. Take a look in this auction found today. Ouch! $650 CDN gone in smoke! :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40158&item=5185118116&rd=1

I feel sorry for the guy - damn hope I'll never be in he position...
For $20 I'd get this card - to use it for soldering practise before I mess around with my soon to arrive X850 ... the heatsink of this card I could use to mod a custum heatplate for a pelt to cool both GPU and ram....

off to place a bid...

well i feel bad for the guy, but he should have known better to not go soldering stuff on a 500$ card with less than adequate skills, what a pity

im thinking if all he tried to do was a vgpu mod and didn't touch the igpu, the card should be fine, maybe he just soldered off the resistor or shorted it

Well, the seller post his reply in answering to someone's question...here's his reply copied below:

"There is no visible damage eccept for a broken r1597 resistor where the vcore mod is done. leaving it will cause a black screen. applying a 10k variable resistor will bring up a screen however with corruptions."

I also got e-mail from him so that's what he said to me...

There is no visible damage on the card. I believe i may have caused some sort of bridge with the solder and may have caused core/mem damage

Now the high bid is at $69.00 ... looks like Overclocker550 might be right what he said - pretty soon!

someone is just gonna buy it, and then buy another x800 xl and put this in the box and return it to a stoopid store like futureshop or best buy, the oldest trick in the book, (i wont say ive done it for obvious reasons...but)

deception`` said:
Perhaps, but keep in mind that somebody has to begin selling sometime. :)

deception``

Yeah but if the person is smart you do some buying normal things and selling small things before you sell something that goes for $100+. Get like 5-10 positive feedbacks from sellers to atleast prove you have paypal.

Im not saying this kid is a bad guy. im sure he busted it, asked his friends if he should RMA it, they busted him in the head and said "ebay it and see if some fool will spend a lot of money on it." Seems like they were right too :D

jamesavery22 said:
Yeah but if the person is smart you do some buying normal things and selling small things before you sell something that goes for $100+. Get like 5-10 positive feedbacks from sellers to atleast prove you have paypal.

Im not saying this kid is a bad guy. im sure he busted it, asked his friends if he should RMA it, they busted him in the head and said "ebay it and see if some fool will spend a lot of money on it." Seems like they were right too :D

At least the seller listed it in the condition it really is. Many times on Ebay, people will list defective or dead items and not mention the fact that it's dead. Then the seller won't refund or replace the item.

Back