• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battle Of 2 Fortrons...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orionlion82

i would go with the 500w. its has dual 12v rails (and combined, a higher 12v rating), has the 24 pin connector for future upgrades (i think), and the 120mm fan will be quieter. even if it was more expensive, i think the newer 500w would be a better choice.

Last edited:
to bad its actually not 500... i once ran a PSU load calcualtor from somewhere and the results were 470-480, but in all reality i am willing to bet my $75 that it will hold...
i was looking at that... and wondering about the 12V amperage on the 530...
but in any event, ive seen the bluestorm 500 highly reccomended here, and elsewhere, and it seems, for now, its the top of the heap... just wanted to rule out and sort of "buyers remorse" - i knew all along the Aspire would come back to haunt me...
anyways, yall made my day, and i feel pretty good knowing i got good help, and ill end up with the right hardware.
Much Appreciated.

If a 500w Aspire can run that system, a 460w Fortron will have no problems at all ;)

The 530w is capable of 28A at 12v as long as the 5v rail's not too heavily loaded, but it's not really the ideal solution for a modern 12v oriented system. I bought mine as a transitional unit - one that could power my 5v heavy system, yet still have the guts to run an A64 upgrade. About the only time I still recommend the 530w is for the Asus A7N8X, and other such 5v oriented boards.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
If a 500w Aspire can run that system, a 460w Fortron will have no problems at all ;)

an authoritative vioce of reason... (happy sigh)
clear skies and fair weather to you...
yall made my day...
:p

i'd say that system is drawing a max of ~200 watts, you'll be fine with either. the bluestorm will be much quieter, plus easier to reuse in a future system, so that would be my pick.

Back