• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modding Black Server Cube

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dolemitecomputer

After several months of planning, buying supplies, reading articles, asking around, and waiting I am finally ready to modify my YY Black Server "Borg" cube that I just got from UPS yesterday. I bought a Dremel and am going to cut the side panel for the window. Before I start I need some advice as to what to do and not to do. For those of you that have this case, I bought a 120 MM blow hole but it seems to be too large for the front. I think I might be able to fit it but I am not sure about that. I need to know if it might work before I begin cutting. I don't want to have to buy another case. :D

For the window, measure three times, cut once :p

What I did, depending on what kind of window kit you got, If you have a rubber gasket, place the window on the inside of the case where you'll do your cutting, take a washer, plain old metal washer, place it against the edge of the window, and inside the washer put like a black sharpie marker and trace, this will make the actuall outline of the window about 1/2 - 3/4 inches bigger then the window itself, maybe not even that big...this leaves you enough room to fit the window and gasket in there and makes it easier to get in. Here's a pic of what I mean (sorry but all I had on hand was Paint :p )

casemod.jpg

Once you have this outline traced, use a drill and make a few pilot holes about a 1/4" INSIDE this line (it should be on the part that you'll cut away), then take a jig-saw with a metal cutting bit and cut around that line about 1/4" in or so.. If you feel like cutting right on the line go ahead, but I don't have a steady hand and if I were to veer off a bit the whole side of the case is ruined. Once you've got that cut out, this is where I used the dremel and some cut-off wheels and the grinding attachment. Cut away the remaining metal right up to the line, use the grinding attachment and just go around the edge to smooth it up/clean off any burrs. Or a file will work just fine. If done right, apply the gasket and then fit the window in and wala.

Now if you've got no gasket and just want to cut the hole and bolt the window in, make sure the hole is a bit smaller then the actual lexan/plexiglass size, this will give you room to drill holes and go through the window.

Or alternatively you can use double-sided tape and hold that thing in place.

Hope that helps, by all means I'm no expert at this since I've only done one mod, but this is alot of info that I picked up here and other sites as well. If anyone feels free to add/modify my instructions feel free.

Ok. That helps but I don't think I will be using a jig saw just the dremel. I guess I must be brave. Anyway, I've seen some people place masking tape all over the area where they are cutting. Is that necessary?

actually Dremel is probably the better way to go, more control but it'll take longer to do the cutting. As for the masking tape I'd reccomend it, maybe even two layers, but you only really need it on the outside of the case. This prevents any accidental scratches, etc from occuring. But do all the cutting form the inside of the case as that doesn't get seen so if you scratch it a bit it won't matter..

Good luck!

If your going to cut the side of your case with a jig-saw, which is my preffered method for cutting windows, use some styrofoam. If you hang half the case side off a bench and just try and cut it you will bend it, or warp it. It will flap up and down uncontorllably and you risk screwing it up, or worse, breaking the blade and inserting it in your eye.

Now, if you get some thick marine grade styrofoam, I mean the 3" thick stuff, you lay your case side on top of that, and just cut. You even get 4 or 5 windows out of a piece of styrofoam. You should be able to get this thick, dense styrofoam at your local Hardware store. It's cheap, and it's worth it.

If you cut it with a hacksaw, yes, use tape. Use duct tape, not masking tape. The metal dust will get under the jig saws table and scratch your case. And it can rub through masking tape, duct tape is more reliable.

It will flap up and down uncontorllably and you risk screwing it up, or worse, breaking the blade and inserting it in your eye.
Ya'll should be wearing saftey glasses or goggles when doing this kind of thing. They're worth the extra $5 at the hardware store. A modded case is a beautiful thing. They look even better when you can look at them with both eyes.

120 MM wont fit in the front, im putting a 120 MM at front on the side, with a duct directing it towards rear of case, im having a window, a top blow hole also 120 mm... and a duct from the woutside onto the HSF.... on the drives/PSU side, i got 2 PSU's exhausting, gonna hve one 120 mm blowing in, and a 92 on the top blowinbg out, gonna seal the two sides from each other too

A year ago I modded my case and got something in my eye, ended up getting an ulser in my eye and had to wear a patch.
Wee

Back