• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Webpage Authoring

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tacoman667

I have so far studied VB, C++, BASIC, and a little bit of JAVA.

I would like to create a webpage for my friend's club at college but am not sure where to begin. I have very little HTML knowledge but it is simple enough to learn all of the tags or at least keep a cheat sheet nearby when I need it.

I was wondering if JAVA would be good to spice up the page. I know there is JavaScript, but doesn't that derive from JAVA?

Where should I begin, all advice would be wonderful. I love projects like this where there is real-world application to what I learn in a book.

TIA.

can i make a webpage out of pure JAVA or PHP? Or will I still need an HTML editor? I will build a basic page and then edit and add onto it with flash and whatnot later.

You'll still need to use HTML. "Pages" that are written in php and java are actually just programs that run on the server and output HTML to the client's browser. You'll still need to know HTML to write pages in php and java (JSP). You can also embed java applets into HTML pages that are downloaded and run on the clients machine not the server.

Would those embeded applets be Java or JavaScript? They seem the same but as I read more they are very different. Right?

Java and Javascript are different. You can use java for writing JSP and applets, but javascript is embedded into HTML to add functionality to pages. The syntax has differences and javascript is executed within the browser not using the Java Virtual Machine plugin like with an applet.

I'd definitely start with simple (but compliant) HTML and CSS first. Start with just HTML to learn the basics of the tags first (<head>, <body>, <a href=>, etc.) Then use CSS to spice it up and do pretty formatting. Then add in things like java/php to spice it up.

The nice thing about knowing it from the ground up is that you can easily write/modify webpages on the go over ssh terminal connections to the server. Very nice for making a quick update or throwing up a new page in little time on an existing site. -- Paul

Back