• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on laptop PSUs..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wiseass

Does anyone know how big they are? (200watt? 235?? whatever?). Reason I ask is I've got my Dell, it's got some grills along the back and sides where the fans/speakers are. I wanted to try getting some of that neon-strip stuff, that's like tape, and maybe put it in there and somehow hardwire it into the PSU and have it "glow" out the holes? I realize it's a good laptop and I probably shouldn't ruin it trying, maybe I can get a cheap one at the computer show or something and use that as my guinea pig.

Anyone got any ideas/think this would work/look cool?

Or am I crazy for even considering putting my $3100 laptop under the knife?

:D

Laptops are made so everything just works. The powersupply is just enough to run the laptop. You can probably get one or two lights, but I would not recomend it.

Even if it did work you would likely reduce the time the battery lasted by quite a bit

I say go for it. The fact that it's risky will make sure it we be truly unique. Just be VERY careful. And if I were you I'd use LEDs, they use practically no power at all.

Back