• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Limits to the P2B Board..please help!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wunautica

Registered
hey. Here the situation. I got a Pent. 2 that is at 333MHz, yeah I know not much. But I want to overclock it. I have the Asus P2B board. It supports up to 600MHz P2/P3. Anywayz..I want to know how far could I go OCing it w/o the hassle of buying new fans on the Heatsink itself. I'm willing to buy more fans for my case if needed. Or more heatsink fans if needed. So I got a 333MHz Pent. 2 that I want to take it 450Mhz or so. Is this possible? Also, what if I got a Pent. 3 at 450MHz, how far could I take that up to? 600MHz??? cause that is my mobo limit. What bout going from 66mhz bus to 100mhz bus, any safe? One more question. Do I need to update my BIOS?? Cause I don't think I did yet. Anywayz..please help me out, thx in advance..late -wU

Last edited:
In the case of the 333 try to raise your frontside bus to 100. This is done by moving the jumpers on the motherboard. Hope you have your manual because you want all jumpers to be correct. The PIII 450 will probably overclock 150mhz. The chip has a low multiplier and I think experience has shown that a 4.5 multipier will clock fairly high. There was questionable success with the 333mhz because its mutiplier was high (5.0). If you have a good stepping you might get lucky. Go to the CPU database at the home page and look up the overclock history of the 333 and PIII 450. Jot down the info from your chips. "s-spec" and the id number. In the database you may be able to find you chips. Also note what boards were used in the system. I'm sure the P2B will be among them. Good Luck.

Checked the database and from the timeline the better the stepping the higher the clock. Success on the PSB is around 415mhz for the lower steppings. Using newer boards and improved cooling the number goes up. The PIII450 on P2B averages 558mhz. I still recommend that you check for yourself using your chip info.

Last edited:
Hey..thx JetMech. I was able to OC my comp from P2 333mhz to 416mhz. NO BAD..but wondering base on your opinion will this be stable and last long. I'm running stock HSF. One Fan only. For more info on mah SLOT 1 CPU..its made in Ireland and code is SL2TV. There another number on tha CPU, it is 10247-0361. I read some of tha CPU database, and saw some peeps made it up to 500mhz w/ minor adjustments. I was wondering, how come I can't change the ratio to effect cpu speed? My ratio at 333mhz is 5.0x. My Asus P2B rev. 1.02 says it could go up to 7.0x ratio. What I did was just changed tha BS from 66mhz to 86mhz. But when I try to change it to 100mhz, it boots up, but when loading WinXP..it dieds and restarts. So does this mean that my cpu & mobo can't handle it at 500mhz? As of right now, im running 416mhz..seem stable. Just want experts like you to comment more on my situation. One more thing. How could I update my bois? And do I need to? In the Bois, it doesn't tell me my CPU temps, but it does tell me my mobo temps though. I want it to read my cpu temps to, do I need to update my bois to do this? Does my mobo have pnp bois? I don't think it does since I try to double click on tha file and it didn't do nothang, while tha non pnp flash program did somethang. I tried to update my bois, but couldn't get to boot up with just command prompt when WinXP is installed. Anywayz...thats bout it, I hope u could answer my new questions. I do notice a lil differences now w/ the speed at 416mhz, but I want a big differences though. Or I'm just gonna leave it at 333mhz. Anywayz..thx again. Late -wU

wunautica said:
Hey..thx JetMech. I was able to OC my comp from P2 333mhz to 416mhz. NO BAD..but wondering base on your opinion will this be stable and last long. I'm running stock HSF. One Fan only. For more info on mah SLOT 1 CPU..its made in Ireland and code is SL2TV. There another number on tha CPU, it is 10247-0361. I read some of tha CPU database, and saw some peeps made it up to 500mhz w/ minor adjustments. I was wondering, how come I can't change the ratio to effect cpu speed? My ratio at 333mhz is 5.0x. My Asus P2B rev. 1.02 says it could go up to 7.0x ratio. What I did was just changed tha BS from 66mhz to 86mhz. But when I try to change it to 100mhz, it boots up, but when loading WinXP..it dieds and restarts. So does this mean that my cpu & mobo can't handle it at 500mhz? As of right now, im running 416mhz..seem stable. Just want experts like you to comment more on my situation. One more thing. How could I update my bois? And do I need to? In the Bois, it doesn't tell me my CPU temps, but it does tell me my mobo temps though. I want it to read my cpu temps to, do I need to update my bois to do this? Does my mobo have pnp bois? I don't think it does since I try to double click on tha file and it didn't do nothang, while tha non pnp flash program did somethang. I tried to update my bois, but couldn't get to boot up with just command prompt when WinXP is installed. Anywayz...thats bout it, I hope u could answer my new questions. I do notice a lil differences now w/ the speed at 416mhz, but I want a big differences though. Or I'm just gonna leave it at 333mhz. Anywayz..thx again. Late -wU
That means there is something that your system is rejecting. Do you have PC 100 ram. You'll need that definitely to reach 100. The 333 at 500 was a hard overclock. You may have to buy some parts and then there still is no guarantee that you'll make it. Such is the life of the overclocker. Intel has locked the multiplier on all of their chips since august 1998. The only way to overclock their chips is by adjusting frontside bus speed and voltage. I never had to increase my voltage but that doesn't say you won't. Check that ram and message me back. If you aren't seeing any problems you should be ok. That increase is not extreme so I wouldn't worry. There is a program called Motherboard Monitor which will let you read your Cpu temp. Also a program called Sisoft Sandra will tell you your cpu temps.

Last edited:
JetMech said:
That means there is something that your system is rejecting. Do you have PC 100 ram. You'll need that definitely to reach 100. The 333 at 500 was a hard overclock. You may have to buy some parts and then there still is no guarantee that you'll make it. Such is the life of the overclocker. Intel has locked the multiplier on all of their chips since august 1998. The only way to overclock their chips is by adjusting frontside bus speed and voltage. I never had to increase my voltage but that doesn't say you won't. Check that ram and message me back. If you aren't seeing any problems you should be ok. That increase is not extreme so I wouldn't worry. There is a program called Motherboard Monitor which will let you read your Cpu temp. Also a program called Sisoft Sandra will tell you your cpu temps.

Hey..thx for the quick reply. Thx for the update in news bout intel chipset. As for the ram, I'm pretty sure they are 100. Or do they make 66mhz SDRam??? Wellz..But I do remember checking them before I put them in, trying to look for anythang that had 100 on it, and I'm sure I got 100s. I do got 1 x 256 133mhz sdram stick. So you think its tha ram? As for temp monitoring, I do have Sisoft Sandra. Haven't installed it, was waiting for my 1.4ghz athlon later on when the KT266a chipset comes out. Anywayz..I just want this comp to be good enough to run almost anythang, lil games of course, not expecting to get large fps in Max Payne or anythang of course. As for reaching 500mhz. Is it safe or do I need some extreme watercooler or somethang? If I do have to, I rather stick with 416mhz or even back to 333mhz. I'm willing to buy more fans though if needed. If I update my BIOS, will it tell me my cpu temps then? I'm installing SiSoft 2001 PRO rite now, I let u know the temps.......okies..according to SiSoft, my memory is a Micron PC100 and Smart Modular PC100. Totaling up to 128MB. SiSoft is not telling me the CPU temps at all. Tells me the same thing as in my BOIS. SiSoft also said that my PCI and ISA slots MHz are too high, PCI is at 42mhz and ISA is at 11mhz, should I lower my FSB? Thats basically all I could tell you bout this comp. Trust me, I use to have a 1.4Ghz on a soyo dragon MOBO, didn't like it, cause of the MOBO of course and waiting on Epox 87HA+. Anywayz...if you could help out any further, that would be great. Otherwise, I'm guess I be good with 416mhz if its still safe w/ the PCI speed and ISA speed wise. Or just go back to 333mhz. Anywayz..thx..and let those jets defend our country..ehhee..late -wU

Greetings wunautica,

Do not update your BIOS if you want to find out your CPU temps, it won't help. You need to get an Asus P2T thermal sensor. But make sure your motherboard supports this sensor. Earlier PCB revisions of the Asus P2B don't support the P2T because they lack the hardware monitoring chip. Check the motherboard manual to see if your mobo has this chip and if it supports the P2T.

As for the PII 333MHz overclock. I used to use a retail version on my Asus P2B-F, the highest it went was 475MHz stable. I even upgraded to a larger 5 fan server case, which didn't help the PII 333MHz reach higher speeds. Main reason for the server case upgrade was for more drive bays, not overclockability. Overclocking success varies. Hope this info helped out.

Lots of luck to you.

ASUS P2-b & P3 Overclocking

Hi. I have an ASUS P2-b AT motherboard. I installed a P3 550. OCed it from 100Hhz FSB to 133 Mhz FSB. Very successful W/O any other modifications except flashed the bios to get correct CPU rise times for P3. Could not get FSB on my system to be stable at higher FSB. I am now considering installing a P3 800 or 850 E and OC the FSB to 133 Mhz.

Possibly there is an Achilles heel to the intel clock lock multiplier. I lowered the CPU multiplier to 4.5. But the CPU stayed clock locked at 5.5 or 733 MHZ with 133 MHZ FSB. The max jumpered multiplier for that MB is 7.5. Could it be that a P3 800E or 850E would still run at the clocklocked speed? If so, this would allow the ASUS p2-b MB to run at over a Gigahertz. Has anybody tried this?

Back