• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 3.0E @ P4P800 Deluxe OC HELP!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ekoshyun

Registered
P4 3.0E on ASUS P4P800 Deluxe OC HELP!!!

First post! :santa:

Been a fan of this forum for a while now, and I've been browsing through the site looking for answers for the longest time. Recently I upgraded from a 2.4C to a 3.0E and I ran into a bunch of problems with overheating and weird memory errors. My old 2.4C ran extremely stable at 3.0GHz for the longest time, but now I can't even overclock the 3.0E to more than 3.09GHz without it crashing or giving me a blank screen upon startup. I have tried tweaking with the memory settings, but have had difficulty understanding how the bottleneck of the 1:1 ratio occurs, and how a 5:4 ratio would be better. Also, after the upgrade, Counter-Strike Source is getting an average of 60FPS running 1680x1050. Used to be around 80-90FPS using the 2.4. Not sure what's going on, but any help would be great!

Here is my current hardware configuration:

ASUS Sonata Case 380W Power Supply
ASUS P4P800 Deluxe (BIOS 1019)
P4 3.0E 800 FSB 1MB HT (@ 3.0Ghz)
Thermalright XP-120 @ 120mm Panaflo L1A (Facing upward)
Corsair XMS PC3200 512x2 (TWINX1024-3200C2PT) (2-3-3-6)
BFG Geforce 6800 GT OC 256MB (Running Standard Shipped OC)
Audigy 2 Platinum
Maxtor ATA133 200GBx2

I have a total of 3 120mm fans,one for intake, one for exhaust, and one for the CPU.

Artic Silver 5 has been applied correctly on the CPU chip and heatsink.

Current IDLE Temp: 35C
CUrrent LOAD Temp: 41C

Current Stable BIOS Settings:

Speed: 3.00 GHz
DDR Frequency 400 Mhz, Dual-Channel, Linear

CONFIGURE SYSTEM FREQUENCY
AI Overclock Tuner: [MANUAL]
CPU External Frequency (Mhz):[200]
DRAM FREQUENCY:[AUTO]
AGP/PCI FREQUENCY (Mhz):[66.66/33.33]

CPU VCore Voltage:[AUTO]
DDR Reference Voltage:[AUTO]
AGP VDDQ Voltage:[1.50V]

Performance Mode:[AUTO]

ADVANCED CHIPSET SETTINGS
Configure DRAM Timings by SPD: [ENABLED]
Memory Acceleration Mode:[AUTO]
DRAM Idle Timer:[AUTO]
DRAM Refresh Rate:[AUTO]

Graphic Adapter Priority:[AGP/PCI]
Graphics Aperture Size:[128MB]
Spread Spectrum:[ENABLED]

ICH Delayed Transaction:[ENABLED]

MPS Revision:[1.4]

-------------------------------------------------------UPDATE-------------------------------------------------------

Current IDLE Temp: 38C
CUrrent LOAD Temp: 41C

Speed: 3.60 GHz
DDR Frequency 320 Mhz, Dual-Channel, Linear

CPU External Frequency (Mhz):[240]
DRAM FREQUENCY:[320]

Performance Mode:[TURBO]

Configure DRAM Timings by SPD: [DISABLED]
DRAM CAS# Latency:[2.5 CLOCKS]
DRAM RAS# Precharge:[3 CLOCKS]
DRAM RAS# To CAS# Delay:[3 CLOCKS]
DRAM Precharge Delay:[6 CLOCKS]
DRAM Burst Length:[8 CLOCKS]

Spread Spectrum:[DISABLED]

ICH Delayed Transaction:[DISABLED]

For those who have the same hardware as me, these are my current rock solid settings. Anything else will shake it up or make it unstable, so feel free to message me if you try it yourself and find there's little modifications that give a little more ooomph.

Enjoy and happy overclocking! :)

Last edited:
if my 2.4A can do 3.8, then you should aim higher, 3.4ghz with that chip requires no effort, just loose the ram timing and up the FSB, you'll need about 225mhz on the ram, not sure if you can do that with value ram.

My current ram has heatspreaders intended for overclocking. I'm just not sure if I should follow the manufacturer's suggested ram settings, or loosen them up to 3-4-4-6 or something.

your temps are ok i would recommend only overclocking with the bios and use the std memor timings in the bios do not use asus ai booster ect. also check if you have any software that may be causing a conflict with drivers or memory because it also sounds like that run the computer with o/c using bios and run windows on safe mode. run a clean bare bones system and go up from there until you find the faulty driver/software

Pretty typical for a prescott user. My guess is that your PSU isnt up to snuff. You do realize that most guys using a 6800s have 500W+ psu right?

Hmm... PSU is pretty quiet, that's why I like it. I can understand that power could be a problem, but I don't intend on overclocking it too much.

So what should my ram timings be? And should I set the DDR Frequency:[320] for the 5:4 ratio while I try to overclock? And when should I try making it a 1:1 ratio again -- let alone how?

ekoshyun said:
Hmm... PSU is pretty quiet, that's why I like it. I can understand that power could be a problem, but I don't intend on overclocking it too much.

So what should my ram timings be? And should I set the DDR Frequency:[320] for the 5:4 ratio while I try to overclock? And when should I try making it a 1:1 ratio again -- let alone how?
you came in at a good time. i have the same proc as you n werkn on some mad oc`ing--- in progress and wc`ing is in the mail, literally. also here is a setup very similar to ours-- http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=380373 what is the speed ur trying to get to?

ekoshyun

what are your PSU specs in Amps on the 12v rail ?
Prescotts are power hungry hogs and need at least 22-24 amps to run stable

Do a seach of this forum and you will see many posts from people posting problems just like yours that were solved by upgrading the PSU

you will also see a few where people have " Smoked" their processors( and some motherboards) trying to use an undersized unit

Good Luck

Dave

I'm not aiming for anything crazy, simpy put I just want to hit 3.6Ghz and then take a chill pill.

From a previous post: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=380373
Sipher quotes: "fsb is 267@15x multi voltage is 1.5375 mem dividers are at 5:4@ 2.6 volts agp locked@66/33."

2.6volts for AGP? Isn't that alot for a GT? (I currently have the BFG OC 6800 GT with the two LED fans running at [AUTO] Voltage])

And can anyone please confirm that setting DRAM Freq. to [320] is creating the [5:4] ratio? And if that is recommended over the [1:1] ratio? I've heard arguments that one is better than the other in different cases, but what is good for a normal computer that balances both gaming, entertainment, and applications such as photoshop?

Thanks for the help so far guys! I'm in luck that I found people with the same motherboard as mine!

PS: Recently I ran into this Checking NVRAM.. delay during boot, and I have contacted ASUS and they have said I might have to RMA my board. Should I go through with overclocking it or wait for the RMA to come back? Hell, what do they do when they RMA it anyway? I got a broken AGP lock slot--are they gonna replace that too?

And can anyone please confirm that setting DRAM Freq. to [320] is creating the [5:4] ratio?
Yes this is 5:4

And can anyone please confirm that setting DRAM Freq. to [320] is creating the [5:4] ratio? And if that is recommended over the [1:1] ratio? I've heard arguments that one is better than the other in different cases, but what is good for a normal computer that balances both gaming, entertainment, and applications such as photoshop?

The slowdown in memory bandwith should be more than made up by being able to run the higher FSB for normal applications ( your milage may vary :) )

Dave

Dcasole said:
Yes this is 5:4

The slowdown in memory bandwith should be more than made up by being able to run the higher FSB for normal applications ( your milage may vary :) )

Dave

Thanks for the quick reply Dcasole. Was wondering how many volts your AGP card was running at?

Wow im supprised that antec 380 could even run stock of all that hardware you had. You really should think about upgradeing that, im sure that PSU isnt gunna last forever, and when it goes, you dont want it takeing everything els with it.

Current IDLE Temp: 41C
CUrrent LOAD Temp: 46C

Speed: 3.52 GHz

CPU External Frequency (Mhz):[235]

I'm still a bit iffy about the ram settings and if Memory Acceleration Mode should be on or off? And should I set a CPU voltage?

turn off MAM and turbo performance mode for now... keep bumping up the FSB..

and loosen the timings to 3-4-4-8-4, the burst length is opposite the latency timings (bigger is better, unlike latency, where smaller is better)

bump up the AGP voltage to 1.8, and the vdimm voltage to 2.85... now start bumping up the FSB for a while...

but really, get a new PSU, you are gonna mess SOMETHING up with that PSU...

I would reccommend a fortron AX500-A (Blue Storm 500W)... $72 shipped at eWiz.com

DaveMan said:
Wow im supprised that antec 380 could even run stock of all that hardware you had. You really should think about upgradeing that, im sure that PSU isnt gunna last forever, and when it goes, you dont want it takeing everything els with it.

Antec's are underrated on this message board. They are built tough.

Antec's aren't the worst power supplies. I enjoy this one because it's extremely quiet, but the fans on the videocard and case usually overkill it with noise anyway -- what would be a good QUIET 500W power supply?

And I've never changed power supplies before -- do I just unscrew it and take it out?

Current IDLE Temp: 40C
CUrrent LOAD Temp: 45C

Speed: 3.60 GHz

CPU External Frequency (Mhz):[240]

Just my current settings, I'll go change the voltages higher once I find a stronger power supply.

Anyway, about at what point should I start tightening up my RAM timings? Or should I just leave it as is?

Here's a few settings you can change for faster performance.

CPU External Frequency (Mhz):[240]----->250
DRAM FREQUENCY:[320]---->400

CPU VCore Voltage:[AUTO]------>1.40V
DDR Reference Voltage:[AUTO]----->2.85V
AGP VDDQ Voltage:[1.50V]---->1.60V

DRAM CAS# Latency:[2.5 CLOCKS]----->3

Memory Acceleration Mode:[AUTO]--->Enabled
DRAM Idle Timer:[AUTO]------>Infinite
DRAM Refresh Rate:[AUTO]------>15.6uSec

ICH Delayed Transaction:[ENABLED]----->Disabled

That should make'm go faster from your current config. Just Vcore for more volts if it reboots or set your ram timings to 3-4-4-8 :cool:

Back