• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doom 3 ROE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

13oots2

I have always supported game developement, but am really annoyed about the cost of Resurrection Of Evil. It seems that the retail cost of the addon is as much as the original Doom 3 cost. Yet the same engine is used and there is only one disk supplied. perhaps I am being a little cynical, but I have the suspision that ID are cashing in on the original Doom 3.

probably. However a decent game nowadays takes a budget similar to a small hollywood movie. the GREAT games almost ALWAYS (there are exceptions) require budgets in the range of mega-movie hits. Factor in games sell less than movies, they have to recoup the cost, so the jack up the price, even for expansions.

TollhouseFrank said:
probably. However a decent game nowadays takes a budget similar to a small hollywood movie. the GREAT games almost ALWAYS (there are exceptions) require budgets in the range of mega-movie hits. Factor in games sell less than movies, they have to recoup the cost, so the jack up the price, even for expansions.

Actually I heard recently that gaming sold about $2 billion more than movies this year. I don't think that includes DVD purchases, though.

In any case, yes production costs are going through the roof. There is a LOT of stuff involved in making a game these days.

13oots2 said:
I have always supported game developement, but am really annoyed about the cost of Resurrection Of Evil. It seems that the retail cost of the addon is as much as the original Doom 3 cost. Yet the same engine is used and there is only one disk supplied. perhaps I am being a little cynical, but I have the suspision that ID are cashing in on the original Doom 3.
It was half the price of a regular game for me and it came with a bonus copy of Doom3, which is still in the box, cause I already have one.

I dont know their contract with activision, but it could have been something that activision wanted.

And it doesn't have to be alot of CDs. Its a expansion pack, so you just add new stuff, and you use the stuff from the original (textures, sounds, models, stuff like that).

I like it sofar quite a bit. If you dont like the price, hold off for abit. I do that alot with games, wait till they hit the 20 dollar mark then snatch them.

I got mine for $25... Circuit City had it on sale so I took it to Best Buy and got myself a pricematch and -10% :)

TollhouseFrank said:

are you sure, i thought big budget for games is about 80 million, where as big budget for movies is about 150-250 million

still playin, for some reason it seems harder to play on my system than the orignal doom 3 game. Def way more action packed.

IMO they are just trying to screw over the end-user (us). Doom 3 ROE costs 39,99 Euro over here. The original Doom 3? 35 Euro. Lol? No way in hell am I going to pay more for an add-on then the original game. If RoE was 30 Euro or less, I would buy it.

On another note, yes new games such as D3 and BF2 probably do cost a lot to make in this day and age, but we are talking about add-ons. It's not a stand-alone. It doesn't require a whole new engine to implement. All you need is 1) story line (not that hard with Doom, eh?) 2) 1-2 more weapons (gee double-barreled shotgun....woopie :p) 3) new levels.

I got mine for $30 at GameStop, I was pretty pleased with the price. It's be a miracle if they don't charge $50 for the HL2 expansion.

I'm not sure where you guys shop, but Target sells the expansion for $35 everyday.

If you pay more than that for it, well...maybe you deserve to lose that extra 15-20 bucks.

Back