• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Code 7 Error while installing windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hydrata

I just put together a cheap PC for a friend, and I'm trying to install XP w/ SP1 on it. I set the BIOS to boot from the WinCD and the computer goes into setting up windows, you know, the initial stuff, "press f6 for raid or scsi........press f2 for system recovery......loading kernel debugger......" but after it loads the debugger i get an error message that says "File setupdd.sys could not be loaded. The error code is 7" So, wtf does that mean??? I searched in the forums a bit and from the one vague post i found it sounded like it could be a hardware issue, so I'm about to go play w/ that, disabling onboard features, and taking oout one of the memory sticks, but i was hoping you guys could give a more definitive answer. Thanks.

Edit: Edited to, in my opinion, properly handle a situation.

Last edited:
Perhaps its because you're using illegal software. I can't beleive you survived this long without being banned. Read the rules. goodbye.

Edit: better left unsaid, problem fixed anyway through searching and troubleshooting. Though I stand by the fact I did nothing wrong, I understand how it could've been misonstrued that way though.

Last edited:
Ebola said:
Perhaps its because you're using illegal software. I can't beleive you survived this long without being banned. Read the rules. goodbye.

Wow!!! That person probably was just asking how to fix a problem with Windows. LOL.

hydrata said:
I just put together a cheap PC for a friend, and I'm trying to install XP w/ SP1 on it. I set the BIOS to boot from the WinCD and the computer goes into setting up windows, you know, the initial stuff, "press f6 for raid or scsi........press f2 for system recovery......loading kernel debugger......" but after it loads the debugger i get an error message that says "File setupdd.sys could not be loaded. The error code is 7" So, wtf does that mean??? I searched in the forums a bit and from the one vague post i found it sounded like it could be a hardware issue, so I'm about to go play w/ that, disabling onboard features, and taking oout one of the memory sticks, but i was hoping you guys could give a more definitive answer. Thanks.

Edit: Edited to, in my opinion, properly handle a situation.

The PC may be unstable. Likely because of RAM issues.

Back