• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4C800-E Deluxe Overclock Newbie Q's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Actually....on the P4C800's that I have used, the optimal voltage setting for the cpu for all I have tried is 1.5875v. Start there and scale down if possible. :)

My 2.8C did 3.5 (250fsb) at 1.675v, kept it at 3.43 (245) 1.5875v for everyday use though.

The TT bigwater kit is so-so, cools better than air but worse than good watercooling kits. It was ~8C colder than a Zalman7000CU and 5C colder than a CoolerMaster Hyper6 with two 37cfm fans. When I changed the pump (or rather, added, still use the old TT pump as a res and for a wee bit extra pressure) to a SwifTech MCP350 and block to a Swiftech 6000P my temps dropped 10-12C. This is on a 3.2 pressie though, Northwoods doesn't need as much cooling, a Zalman7000 was used for the oc metioned above.

DaveMan said:
Yeah I wanna try and steer clear of pumping too much power into the core, last thing I wanna do is fry my 2.8NW :p They kinda hard to find for a good price now days. (yes I know overclocking kills but im takein it slooow)

I agree fan voltage controls would rock. Asus has that AI Booster that can controll the CPU fan and just about anything els on the motherboard(Overclock/Underclock), But I found it, well, Slightly Buggy. Needs work is all, but its a great program concept.

One thing with that though, be carful if anyone reads this and installs it, keep in mind when that program loads up it turns your cpu fan off! Took me a moment and a few heart stoping seconds to find out why my alarms were going off. Asus built in a kinda cool and quiet thing into that program and it kinda lowers cpu fan (or turns it off completely in my case) speed at low temps. Funny thing though I never thought 45c idle was a low temp... Smooth. :shrug: I sat there with sweat dripping down my forhead watching the cpu heat up past 50c, then 55c and still the fan was off. Sh*t a brick at 60c and scrambled to get the fan moveing again. Craaaazy stuff.

Anyway if you look deep enough into the program you can manualy controll the fan.

I do use the one single fan control when running stock and I've come accross the stalled fan problem. C&Q drops the voltage to low for some fans (IE TT-Silent Cat). They stall but I have a fanless proc sink which with just the PSU fan will hold the temps under 60C. Over 64 and they just throttle. I had a Skt370 sink get stuck up on the socket ridge. CPU shot to 64 throttled and sat there with no damage, something Intel did right. I immedialtly shut it off and corrected the mistake. With skt478 and later, this is no longer an issue.
I'm going to flip-flop on the next processor. Instead of getting a Prescot, I'm going to try and get a NW at 3.2 or 3.4. I've later discovered the PSs don't have enough of an edge to warrant that much extra wattage and heat. The more I work with this board, the more I love it. I just need to see if adding caps to the core VR circuits since we have noticed some droop. If we fix the droop problem and I bet we could see another 10% ocing.
I don't use the AI anymore since as you said, it's "Slightly Buggy". I would notice a number of freezes and crashes when using Enhanced DDR with AI. I now have all manual DDR timing 3-3-3, Vcore 1.575 and FSB 226 with Enhanced and Turbo on yeilding 2.95G on my P42.6. So far preliminary stability has been achived with gaming, surfing, photoshopping and folding all weekend. I have yet to Prime95 it to put a seal on those numbers.
(Grammatic edit).

Back