• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6600gt seriously low 3dmark score

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The_Silpheed

I've just bought a new XFX geforce 6600gt with 128mb gddr3, and I've noticed that it doesnt seem to be running as well as other people have reported on the net. It scored 1138 in 3dmark03 and I couldnt even be bothered to let 3dmark05 finish because it was getting 3 fps max.

oddly though, it seems fairly good when playing games, on half life 2 I can have all settings on max and 2xAA 4xAF on 1024-768 without much slowdown in busy areas. I do not think it is my hardware that is slowing it down either (athlon xp 3000+, 1gb ddr 333, 550w switching psu) because a radeon 9800pro 128mb I tested for a friend very recently ran very fast and got over 5000 on 3dmark03.

I've tried lots of drivers including omega and nvidia-beta drivers but none of them seem to improve performance. another interesting thing is that the temp guage reads 234C no matter what driver I use. Has anyone else had problems like these? could someone please shed some light on this mystery? thanks in advance.

It might be your processor. Seems like your vid card runs fine, but doesn't perform when bench utilities are used because they stress the cpu as well. Try installing other drivers for your video card as well.

It might be your processor. Seems like your vid card runs fine, but doesn't perform when bench utilities are used because they stress the cpu as well. Try installing other drivers for your video card as well.
But scoring 1000? I have a hard time believing that this setup would score so low...

Reinstall your motherboard chipset drivers. You may be in pci mode. As far as running 200C? Definitely use driver cleaner like suggested above and try the newest Nvidia 71.89 drivers.

hmm, I took it back coz it was probably faulty, but I realised I'd never been in the 6600's bios. All my old cards never had bioses. Do you think it might have been set up wrong in there?

Every card has a bios as far as I know.
Well if you returned it no use in worrying about it now.What card did you replace it with?

Really? the 6600GT I had was the first card I ever had that had a bios that showed up before my motherboard bios, how are you supposed to enter control centre?
Anyway I'm gonna get a bog-standard 6800 and i'm hoping the pipelines will not be damaged so i can make it a 6800GT.

my 6600gt does flash some quick video card information before the post screen when starting the computer. I'm pretty sure there is NO way to hit a key to go into your video card bios. You just have to learn to flash it if you are trying to alter any settings

tytlyf said:
my 6600gt does flash some quick video card information before the post screen when starting the computer. I'm pretty sure there is NO way to hit a key to go into your video card bios. You just have to learn to flash it if you are trying to alter any settings

Your right.You have to dump the bios and edit it from there.

The_Silpheed said:
Really? the 6600GT I had was the first card I ever had that had a bios that showed up before my motherboard bios, how are you supposed to enter control centre?
Anyway I'm gonna get a bog-standard 6800 and i'm hoping the pipelines will not be damaged so i can make it a 6800GT.

just a note, all video cards have a bios that shows up before the motherboard bios. whether or not your monitor turns on fast enough to catch it is another story.

make sure aa/af is disabled and that your chipset drivers are installed. Games will still run half decent because they are so cpu intensive, even a 1100 3dmark score is fine for games but you need to get the full performance :shrug:

thanks for all the help, but as I said I gave up and took it back, I'll be getting a 6800 now, does anyone know how a normal 6800 compares with a 6600gt?

It's about on par with an overclocked 6600GT, but you might be able to unlock pipes/shaders then overclock...Then it will be much better :þ

Good luck.

Back