• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd duron 1.8mhz help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

igoeasy

System setup now is Abit KT7-Raid 1.0 with A9 bios and voltages are at default 1.5v.

Need help as I have never done any OCing. I was not able to find good prices on the XP2100+ so I took a plunge with this cpu. I just installed a Duron 1.8mhz cpu running but only at 1350mhz ( 13.5 multiplier x 100fsb). I assume its slower 200fsb limit (1800*200/266).
Any chance of getting the board to run higher speeds with 133fsb?

can anyone advise on a good recommended voltage setting ?
perhaps I need to unlock hidden multipliers with the L1 bridges or the mod bios method ?

Hey igo, I did some searching and found out that your motherboard has the VIA KT 133 chipset. Now even though the chipset is called kt 133, it does not support a 133mhz fsb for a cpu, it only supports 133mhz for the ram only. You can try to run your chipset @ 133, but many reviews have shown that chipset not being able to do so (not very overclockable). I am guessing that your BIOS will not let you change the FSB. If that is the case, then you would have to find not a BIOS update, but a modded BIOS. I don't think your chances of that are too good. Your best bet is to get a compatible motherboard, or raise the multipler on your cpu; and achieve your cpu speed that way.

BTW, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

rob 119 said:
I am guessing that your BIOS will not let you change the FSB.
BTW, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Not sure if FSB can be changed but there is one option in bios that has a 133mhz speed. (BUt I havent been able to sucessfully post with this setting)

19-04-05_1147.jpg 19-04-05_1146.jpg

Ok, I see your C-mos does offer a setting for a 133 front side bus. The problem I think is your BIOS does not support 133 fsb. Good news though! Abit does have a BIOS that supports a 133 fsb. You will need to flash to a BIOS called the "KT7 BIOS 4A", which you can find on the bottom of this download page.
http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/bios_revision.php?categories=1&model=92

Ignore my previous statement about your chipset not being able to do 133. I believe Abit and not the reviews.

Have you ever flashed? If you need help with that part, let me know...

I already have the latest A9 Bios flashed and should also be able to have the same support for 133fsb as the older bios did. Just curious to know why the 1400@133fsb setting will not post.

igoeasy said:
I already have the latest A9 Bios flashed and should also be able to have the same support for 133fsb as the older bios did. Just curious to know why the 1400@133fsb setting will not post.

The A9 BIOS does not specify that it supports 133 fsb.

The 4A BIOS states this: "Support AMD 1.4GHz(133)CPU"

The 4A Bios says that it supports a 1.4ghz cpu.

If you flash to a 4A and get a no post, try to set your multiplier to 10, if you post with a 10 multiplier, then you know for sure that your mobo is not capable of running 1.8ghz.

Rumrunner said:
The 4A BIOS states this: "Support AMD 1.4GHz(133)CPU"
The 4A Bios says that it supports a 1.4ghz cpu.

Doesn't look like this will work as I have the older KT7 model. :bang head Think connecting the L1 bridges will work ?

Offical BIOS release 4A for KT7,KT7-RAID V1.0, V1.01, V1.02
KT7A,KT7A-RAID V1.0, V1.1, V1.2
KT7E
Release information:

1. Support AMD 1.4GHz(133) CPU. (for KT7A/KT7A-RAID series only)
2. HPT 370 RAID BIOS version 1.11.0402.
3. BIOS compile date: 08/24/2001.

The thing is, if you unlock it you would have to run it at a 10.5x multiplier for 1.4ghz. I think that 4a bios was released to support the thunderbird core via 133 fsb (im guessing). It is unfortunately becoming clear that your mobo will not support anything above 1.4ghz. You may want to call Abit support to make sure about this.

If you decide to upgrade the mobo, you will not have to spend very much, here is an example what you will need:

cheap: http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813185010

quality: http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123231

Beware, the cheaper mobo does not have integrated video.

Unfortunately, the KT133 chipset can't handle a 133mhz FSB regardless of which BIOS you use. VIA's answer was their KT133A chipset. Stick with your A9 BIOS, but read between the parentheses on Abit's 4A BIOS description:

Support AMD 1.4GHz(133)CPU. (The bios is for both KT7 and KT7A series, but this enhancement is for KT7A/KT7A-RAID series only)

If the CPU is unlocked, you should be able to bump up the multiplier a bit. I have a KT7A running an unlocked 2100+ at 2ghz, and I found this thread to be especially helpful with the multilpliers when I set it up: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=158672&highlight=kt7

Kap said:
If the CPU is unlocked, you should be able to bump up the multiplier a bit. I have a KT7A running an unlocked 2100+ at 2ghz, and I found this thread to be especially helpful with the multilpliers when I set it up: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=158672&highlight=kt7

After reading that thread, I believe that need to do some modding to get the higher multipliers. Which bridges would I cut for this cpu (applebred)?
Also, most who have this chip modded the CPU opened up its L2 to 256K to become fast as an Athlon XP 2200+.
Will try the modded A9 bios and see if multipliers change in anyway.

Kap said:

Tried several multiplier settings and still no luck. How can I tell if I have an unlocked CPU ? Would connecting the L1 contacts give me higher multipliers ? I see others have enabled to L2 on this too. Someone please advise if anything can be done to cpu or mb.
:bang head
CPU

If you just recently bought this from Newegg, then it is very likely locked. AMD started locking cpus after week 39 of 2003, so if it is newer than that, it's probably locked.
If it is locked, then you cannot change the multiplier in any way, except for in the case of PowerNow. You can do the mobile mod to the cpu, and then use software in Windows to change the multi, but it only works if the chipset supports PowerNow, and I'm not sure if that one does or not.
You may or may not be able to unlock the disabled L2 cache, I've heard both ways for locked cpus. I have not tried with my 0446 Duron, but it worked fine on my unlocked 0336 Duron.

Looks like trying to push this old board any further isnt worth the risk and time. Time for the KT7 to retire. Guess I can throw my old chip there and set it as a spare pc.

Now.. what would be a good new motherboard to go along with a 1.8mhz Duron (applebred) ? How about the NF7 ? This new setup would be mostly used as a HTPC.

Any input would be appreciated. Advanced thanks !

I don't personally have an NF7, but it's a very popular board, and from what I've read, most owners are happy with it. If you decide to get the NF7-S board, just be aware that there's a difference between the NF7-S Rev.2 (which is extremely popular for overclocking) and their newer NF7-S2 (which does NOT have the same voltage adjustments as far as I can recall, and is therefore not comparable for overclocking). I was very disappointed in Abit for using that name on their new board, as it's confusing and very misleading. The NF7-S Rev.2 is a great enthusiast's board, and why Abit would try to deceive people into buying their inferior NF7-S2 is beyond me. (Please note that I haven't researched this board in quite some time, so if Abit has made BIOS improvements that bring the NF7-S2 up to par, then I humbly stand corrected.) If you're not planning on overclocking, and will run the CPU at stock speed, then it's not much of an issue.

Another thing that you might want to consider since this will be an HTPC is going with a small form factor (SFF) case and motherboard. It will be a little more expensive to go that route, but it's generally a more attractive option if the case is going to be in plain view.

Best of luck with it! :)

Back