• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair COOL vs. Thermalright XP-90C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blkout

Just a quick question without getting beat over the head for not using a custom kit, will the Corsair COOL do a better job than the XP-90C? Before you answer though, I am using an XP-90C now and it does a great job with the case open, but when I close the case, the temps rise about 4-5c. I realize this means that I don't have enough ariflow through my case, but I am a freak about keeping the intake and exhaust fans quiet so my question is, if I should go with a quiet water setup like the Corsair COOL, would it cool better than my XP-90C with the case closed since the radiator is mounted outside the case? And, how much of a difference do you think I'd be looking at in temps? With my case closed now, I'm getting idle temps around 45c on my 4.05GHz Prescott and load temps around 55c.

Naaa, I don't think very many water cooling setups (if any) can outperform the xp-90c. I think the problem is your case.

*edit* what fans do you have on your intake and exhaust now?

rob 119 said:
Naaa, I don't think very many water cooling setups (if any) can outperform the xp-90c. I think the problem is your case.

I do not wish to start a battle, so I won't. It is just my opinion that water will cool better on a home built setup if properly researched. Retail may be another story. I am slowly converting over to air though as I have so far found the xp to be an acceptable cooling solution when compared to water. In the past I did not find this to be true. I run an xp-90 (non c) as well as a dual rad exterior box. The water appears to hold a 5c or so advantage over the xp however the water is cooling a 754 3000+ at 1.82v (2.65Ghz folding 24/7) while the xp is cooling a 2.8c at 3.6Ghz at 1.6v. Not exactly apples to apples. I do have an 2800+ coming along with an xp-90 and should have it up sometime this weekend. It as well as the Intel will be running 54cfm (36db) fans at 12v constant. As for the water, I have been able to cool a 320w tec with the dual rads as well as dual 156w tecs on bong. The bong (though not silent) by far provided the best water cooling solution for a non-phase change system. Capable of handling the 2.1v (tbirds) to all others (ie xp, intels, a64) with relative aplomb. It is my favorite though a little loud (falling water) and not to my wifes pleasing. The bong no longer exists. The bong also requires constant servicing. If you are benching though it is a good solution. The rads are service free for me. System is sealed with no noteworthy water loss over the last six months or so and no growth of any kind. No additives and tap water. Given the risk of water, as well as the dependency on more parts and the cost and shelf area, the xp line is a good solution unless of course you are looking to bench competitively. Huge cost these days.

Nicely done Silver.

I'll throw in a few words of my own. The Corsair COOL kit uses some pretty nice parts. The only thing I can see holding it back from the performance of a good DIY system is the radiator. I haven't seen any tests of this kit, so I can't make any supported conclusions. It would definately help with the problem of sucking in hot case air if you mounted the radiator so it was getting fresh air.

As for water cooling not being any better than air, there are a lot of grounds to argue on. I must say though, that a dual 120mm heatercore will spank the largest of heatsinks for pure surface area. With modern water blocks getting better and better, I wouldn't say there is a significant enough efficiency loss to negate the cooling effects of the added surface area from a large radiator.

rob 119 said:

120mm Panaflo, I believe. Only running them at 7v though. Like I said before, I realize that case flow is the problem, my question was that since water cooling doesn't rely on case flow as much especially with the COOL since the radiator and fan are mounted ouside the case, I was wondering if it would provide a noticeable difference over my XP-90C with the case closed which is obviously when my temps are highest. The XP-90C does a fantastic job with the case open, but I don't want to run that way all the time.

you seriously think there arent many or even any watercooling setups that can beat a xp-90C?

that kit is a great starter kit. excellent block and pump, and a good performing radiator for medium to low fans

ZachM said:
Nicely done Silver.

I'll throw in a few words of my own. The Corsair COOL kit uses some pretty nice parts. The only thing I can see holding it back from the performance of a good DIY system is the radiator. I haven't seen any tests of this kit, so I can't make any supported conclusions. It would definately help with the problem of sucking in hot case air if you mounted the radiator so it was getting fresh air.

As for water cooling not being any better than air, there are a lot of grounds to argue on. I must say though, that a dual 120mm heatercore will spank the largest of heatsinks for pure surface area. With the C/Ws of modern water blocks getting closer and closer to 0, I wouldn't say there is a significant enough efficiency loss to negate the cooling effects of the added surface area from a large radiator.

I have no doubt watercooling is superior to air, just look at automobiles, you don't see air cooling anymore. My question was really just concerning how well the COOL would do compared to the XP-90C in MY situation with bad case flow. I'm thinking, its got to be better, I'm just wondering how much, its a cost to performance ratio, you know? Plus, I just bought this XP-90C so I'd have to sell it to someone if I went watercooling, otherwise I'd be stuck with a $50 heatsink which is just wasted money.

have you thought of drilling a hole in the side of your case instead?

A water cooling system has the advantage of being able to disipate a lot of heat with less noise than an air-cooling system while also allowing for a higher overclock at the same time. For the "I don't mind going deaf" crowd they can strap some high speed deltas on their radiator(s) & get really cool temps. My old TR or PCCooler heatsinks couldn't cool as well as my current low end water cooling system can & my water cooling is near silent. I'd need to replace the fans in my PSU before the pump & Vantec Stealth on my heatercore became a problem as far as sound goes. I also was able to get a 100MHz higher overclock on my old CPU (current CPU hasn't been tested with air cooling so I can't give any comparisons). If I had something like a Storm or a MCW6002 then I would be able to get an even better overclock I'm sure. Best yet is that my whole water cooling system cost less than an XP90C & a good quality fan.

Blkout said:
I have no doubt watercooling is superior to air, just look at automobiles, you don't see air cooling anymore. My question was really just concerning how well the COOL would do compared to the XP-90C in MY situation with bad case flow. I'm thinking, its got to be better, I'm just wondering how much, its a cost to performance ratio, you know? Plus, I just bought this XP-90C so I'd have to sell it to someone if I went watercooling, otherwise I'd be stuck with a $50 heatsink which is just wasted money.

It is hard to answer your question directly. Like I said I haven't seen any real tests of that system. Giving an estimated temp drop would be based purely on speculation, and would have no real value except possibly giving you false hope. Do I think the COOL would do better than the XP-90C in your situation? I would say yes. I think the water cooling would get you better temps. That is just based on the performance I have seen from water cooling in the past. I have no numbers to compare, just observations.

You could probably get most of your money back on that heatsink in the classifieds. It is still new, and a hot item so I don't think you would have trouble selling it.

ZachM said:
It is hard to answer your question directly. Like I said I haven't seen any real tests of that system. Giving an estimated temp drop would be based purely on speculation, and would have no real value except possibly giving you false hope. Do I think the COOL would do better than the XP-90C in your situation? I would say yes. I think the water cooling would get you better temps. That is just based on the performance I have seen from water cooling in the past. I have no numbers to compare, just observations.

You could probably get most of your money back on that heatsink in the classifieds. It is still new, and a hot item so I don't think you would have trouble selling it.

That's about the answer I expected, as far as I know, no one has made this comparison yet either. I may try it for the sake of experimentation. Any clue how many amps those water pumps pull?

power_curve_500w.jpg

according to swiftech, normal power usage is 8.3 W

water cooling is the way to go one bad side is mosfet temps on a 478 platform with a pressy. ive sinked mine but temps are still higher then air.

i little comparison my copper zalman was 8C hotter then a thermaltake big water and your kit is way better.

you want quiet go water with some quiet fans aimed at sinked mosfets

outhouse said:
water cooling is the way to go one bad side is mosfet temps on a 478 platform with a pressy. ive sinked mine but temps are still higher then air.

i little comparison my copper zalman was 8C hotter then a thermaltake big water and your kit is way better.

you want quiet go water with some quiet fans aimed at sinked mosfets

Yea, I knew that might be one drawback but I am using a s775 board so thankfully, its a little more robust in this area, but I think maybe a low speed fan lowing air over the fets would do the trick like you said.

-aDaM^, the COOL kit uses Swiftech parts. Is has a MCP350 pump, a MCW6000 block, and one of their molded bay reserviors. I wouldn't say those parts suck at all. I think it is one of the best kits on the market. For a newbie who doesn't want to deal with learning about all of the different parts out there, I think it would be a good choice.

Blkout said:
Not as bad as I thought, looks like just over 1 amp.

huh? thats less than 1 amp.

and i agree that the swiftech kit has top notch parts.

I bought the Corsair cool kit and it has been great! My entire case is now cooler especially NB and CPU because I dont have the HS-Fan blowing hot air all over everything. I also got the kit at Techonweb.com for @ $165.00. Someone said that the radiator wasn't too good, Why? Isn't it a Black Ice pro or equivalent? Anyway I could have built my own setup but I'm busy at work and for the money spent it couldn't be beat. All the parts would have cost me more than the kit did.

Back