• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with case lighting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayson

My parents are getting me a birthday present (2 months late, but who cares). It's up to me, and I'm looking at some case lighting in addition to chipset cooling (if you know about that, help me here). So I have a few questions. What kinds of lighting are there, and what do you guys recommend? I've also heard of people having problems with boxes or something catching fire. That's not something I want to deal with. Any info on that? And lastly, I saw somewhere a light that has something like lightening going through the tube. Anyone know what it is and where I can get it?

i use cold cathode - they are cheap - $12 for 2 12' ones on frozencpu.com

nothing willc atch fire - i got 3 12' and 2 4' in my case and they dont get hot at all.

head over to www.frozencpu.com they should have all the lights you could need.

there are reports of cold cathode inverter boxes catching fire. I prefer LED lighting because :

1.) There is almost no chance of fire

2.) No inverter box

3.) Inverter boxes cause electronic interference with my CPU fan.

4.) LEDs are smaller, and easier to fit into smal places.

5.) Cheap, but only if you have soldering skills. (LEDs are around 0.50 to 1.00 each, wire is basically free, LEDs usually come with needed resistors if you buy them from certain sites that escape my memory at the moment.)

6.) No warmup time, LEDs are full brightness right away.

Im not bashing Cathodes, i had one till i got my fan, then i took it out. They are easier for sure to put in your case, but if you want something really unique, Cathodes are often more trouble than they are worth IMO

Also, if you buy a good cathode, the chance of it burning is very low. I'd stay away from the cheap ones though, get a good brandname.

Back