• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P4B problems!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grande Juan

:mad: Much to my dismay I cannot get past the BIOS post on my new ASUS P4B. Hardware monitor indicates an error, so I check and the only issues I see would be erratic cpu fan speed or not at all. However all fans are working and spinning at a constant speed. Also the +12V are at 11.60. I have a ASUS P4B mobo I845 chipset, P4 1.5 478 pin, 300watt PSU, 256 PC150, GeForce 2 MX400, 30gig 7200rpm HD, 16x DVD, two case fans one on the Geforce card and the stock intel fan on the cpu. running at 40C. No sound card or modem installed yet. Any suggestions would be great, tech support must be out fishing in the gulf of Mexico. Because of this issue I have not been able load an OS or any drivers or programs.

:confused: Whatever the problem is it appears to be directly related to the fan speed issue. When I click ignore I get no error message however it just goes into a endless cycle of (Push A Key To REBOOT). The fan is indeed working fine. In the meantime I have ressurected this PIII 450 failed OCing relic.

Not sure this will help but on my ASUS P4T board it would also get lower voltage on the 300 watt PSU i was using. I bought a new 400 watt and every worked fine afterwards.

Thanks for the response, I've only been a member for a short time but so far I love this site. Now about the power supply I tried unhooking everything but the video card still have same error message erratic fan speed or N/A constantly changing back and forth. Plus now my +12V has droped to 11.12V. Any help needed:confused:

I understand this is an O/Cers forum and that my problem is more tech oriented, but I do plan on trying to O/C this sytem if it ever works. Having said that now I have found the uprade for the BIOS to deal with the cpu fan problem. (It seems the asus mobo does'nt read the intel cpu fan correctly) I successfuly download and installed to a floppy but it won,t load. Also I have a 400w PSU that I'm going to install shortly, I hope that does the trick. In the mean time any help at all would be useful. Many Thanks.

Back again, Me thinks this will be a better boat anchor than a gaming platform. tech tells me to CLRCMOS so I did, disconnected all power to mobo take out battery use the jumper. Then I left the battery out 30mins. hooked it all back up same problem. Now they say take the mobo out of the case and try CLRCMOS again this time let the mobo lay around on the table with nothing on it for awhile then reassemble it and try again. Does this make sense it did'nt to me. What next take it to Tibet have Shaman mumble some incontation, sprinkle it with some majic dust or what? Also the 400w psu does not have the right 4 pin plug even though it's an ATX psu. So I'm off in search of a different one. All ideas welcome. OUT----

actually the reason he told you to let it sit on the table i believe is to let alll the memory clear out, and make sure all power is gone.....

Of course your right, I just thought that removing everything from the mobo and still leaving it in the case would accomplish the same results. Regardless I have now determined that my problem is I'm an idiot. What is happening is my system is trying to boot from the hardrive which is new therefore has nothing on it. The only way I can load a disc is to disconnect the hardrive. How can I ever put anything on it? I guess I need to take basic comp. 101. Thanks still working on it please help.

:eek: :eek: :eek: Ha Ha Boy I am a moron all I had to do was create a start up disc for Win98SE put it in the floppy, boot with CD ROM support and partition and format HDD and presto! NOW if I could only get the pointer to work I could register Win. and start loading programs then start O/Cing this beast if possible. I wish I would have known this 4 days ago. Boy I sure learned a lot in those four days though!

Welcome to computer building 101. Don't pat yourself on the back yet though. You have just begun to fight. Keep us posted on your progress. We'll only interfer when we smell smoke. All jokes aside though, good work so far. Oh yeah, WELCOME TO THE FORUM. When you get your machine up and running we'd like to talk to you about using it to FOLD. Good luck on the rest of your build.

Another no brainer problem out of the way. I'm up and running and all I can say is WOW! This thing runs like a scalded monkey. I am highly interested in being a part of the folding team but I'll have to research it a little more first. Also I'm getting DSL on the 10th until then it stays offline not about to install AOL on this baby. until then I'll just crawl around with this PIII 450 relic. Keep up the good work, could'nt have done it without this site or Anandtech's site. Thanks again.:D :D :D

Grande Juan said:
Another no brainer problem out of the way. I'm up and running and all I can say is WOW! This thing runs like a scalded monkey. I am highly interested in being a part of the folding team but I'll have to research it a little more first. Also I'm getting DSL on the 10th until then it stays offline not about to install AOL on this baby. until then I'll just crawl around with this PIII 450 relic. Keep up the good work, could'nt have done it without this site or Anandtech's site. Thanks again.:D :D :D
Ok. When you're ready to learn about folding go to the Folding @ Home area and read the Sticky by Allan. It gives you info and links to get you up and running. TT120 is one of the co-captains and a message to him will get you all the help you need. See you around the neighborhood.

Back