• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ever wonder what those beeps mean and why there is an error?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Whats the easiest way to check all hardware type information on your computer. I know of dxdiag, but... yeah. I want to be able to check all info, like what my front side bus is, what the multiplyer is set to, and what not.

Point me in the direct of a good program. I suppose one of those benchmark testing programs would work, but i guess i just would like to know what yall this is good.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this kinda post. I came to the question reading over the beep errors there, and trying to explain to my friend on aim why it was doing that, and she didnt know which Bios's type she was.

TheNeonShadow said:
Whats the easiest way to check all hardware type information on your computer. I know of dxdiag, but... yeah. I want to be able to check all info, like what my front side bus is, what the multiplyer is set to, and what not.

Point me in the direct of a good program. I suppose one of those benchmark testing programs would work, but i guess i just would like to know what yall this is good.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this kinda post. I came to the question reading over the beep errors there, and trying to explain to my friend on aim why it was doing that, and she didnt know which Bios's type she was.
A program called "cpu-z" and "everest" will tell you and everything you need and don't need to know.

jack222 said:
Award BIOS's do not use beeps anymore.

Wrong. The Award BIOS will bleep even when it POSTed properly. It's normal to hear 1 short bleep during a normal motherboard boot.

Bleep codes:

1 long and 2 short bleeps ( 1 long and 3 short bleeps) 3 or 4 bleeps total:
Video card init failure. The BIOS failed to initialize the video card.

Repeated long bleeps:
RAM init failure. The BIOS failed to initialize the RAM. The RAM isn't seated properly, the RAM was OC'ed too much, the wrong latency settings or the motherboard don't like the RAM.

I apologize, my source must have been wrong.

Beeps

Error Message

1long, 2 short Video adapter error Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly. Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected properly.

Repeating (endless loop) Memory error Check for improperly seated or missing memory.

1long, 3short No video card or bad video RAM Reseat or replace the video card.

High frequency beeeps while running Overheated CPU Check the CPU fan for proper operation. Check the case for proper air flow.

Repeating High/Low CPU Either the CPU is not seated properly or the CPU is damaged. May also be due to excess heat. Check the CPU fan or BIOS settings for proper fan speed.

This was very useful information and I really wish I had this information when I messed up my computer and was getting the beeps of death from the computer. I did everything I could and eventually got rid of the computer and a new one sits in its place. If I come across beeps again this will be the place I look first. Thanks so much.

Wrong. The Award BIOS will bleep even when it POSTed properly. It's normal to hear 1 short bleep during a normal motherboard boot.

Bleep codes:

1 long and 2 short bleeps ( 1 long and 3 short bleeps) 3 or 4 bleeps total:
Video card init failure. The BIOS failed to initialize the video card.

Repeated long bleeps:
RAM init failure. The BIOS failed to initialize the RAM. The RAM isn't seated properly, the RAM was OC'ed too much, the wrong latency settings or the motherboard don't like the RAM.

Thats what I needed, mine did repeated long beeps after reinstalling an old stick of ram. I'd never heard repeated long beeps before and it kinda freaked me out. (AWARD bios)

im getting 5 beeps, intermittently. all in all everything still seems fine. no random shut offs or freezing or anything like that. i understand this may have something to do with the CPU....

You are the king of thread necro's.

5 beeps on an AMI bios = bad CPU or unsupported CPU
Could also be bad board or corrupted bios.

MSI and 8 core FX usually isn't a great combination.

Last edited:
Back