• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So I FINALLY got a new hard drive...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathAngelLST

And it's fantastic! Uber fast boot, no more micropauses when loading textures, sounds, etc while in games. And the superuber fast defragmentation :clap:

Now I have questions:

1- 111GB instead of 120GB. I expected atleast 117GB. Eh?
2- When I installed Windows, it gave me no option other than NTFS format, nor did it give me AFTER the OS was installed. Sure, it defrags a hell lot faster than FAT32, but also fragments too often. The OS and apps are in C: (cluster size = 4k) partition, whiles games and mp3's in F: and G: (cluster size = 32k), respectively. Is there a way to change the C: NTFS back to FAT32 without having to reinstall everything?
3- How long may the hard drive last? Warranty is 3 years... I hope it won't die within 5.

1-if you were expecting 117gb's were you planning on using FAT32? because NTFS takes up more then FAT.

2-You would have to completely reinstall to go from NTFS to FAT...but then again why would you want to do that? NTFS is better then FAT

3-Depends on how you have it cooled and how good the harddrive is built...also dont get viruses!

AMDflux said:
1-if you were expecting 117gb's were you planning on using FAT32? because NTFS takes up more then FAT.

I thought it was the opposite because of cluster size?

AMDflux said:
2-You would have to completely reinstall to go from NTFS to FAT...but then again why would you want to do that? NTFS is better then FAT

For gaming I heard it's slower.

AMDflux said:
3-Depends on how you have it cooled and how good the harddrive is built...also dont get viruses!

Right now, no fan cooling it. Might get a zalman passive one further.

Back