• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sen's Burn-In Technique

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Most people prefer to load it up with voltage, I prefer to do what I listed at the begining of this thread.

i did what was listed on the begining, from 1.54(1.4x110%) to 1.485(1.35*110%) AMD 64 newcastle 754 242*10.. at 1.485 i can now prime it to 37min instead of 8min.. but when raise up the FSB to 245*10 and run the CPU burn-in then prime it doesnt work, does it have to do with memory? coz i cant Super PI 245 at 8mb to 32mb.

Has anyone tried burning in in safe mode? That seems to work pretty well for me. Fewer processes = fewer chances for errors, and safe mode only runs absolutely necessary processes. If anyone doesn't know how to boot into safe mode, press F8 before you boot into windows and select safe mode from the menu.

I know for me, it takes less voltage for me to boot into safe mode than full blown windows.

@ Sentential & ALL others ...

Hey Guys; has anyone ever thought about pre-burning a CPU even before is new mounted on the MoBo, like I have done with all my CPUs till now: [ http://freeweb.siol.net/jerman55/HP/preBurn-in.htm ] ? After this kind of "thermal Burn-in" I proceeded than with few weeks slowly step-by-step "electrical Burn-in" with working CPU inside PC running this: [ http://users.volja.net/jerman55/Burn-In.zip ] /16kb! only/ This stuff heats most - watch temps !!! It is no harder work for a Cpu than this for sure! Bye ... :D ...

SavageIX said:
Has anyone tried burning in in safe mode? That seems to work pretty well for me. Fewer processes = fewer chances for errors, and safe mode only runs absolutely necessary processes. If anyone doesn't know how to boot into safe mode, press F8 before you boot into windows and select safe mode from the menu.

I know for me, it takes less voltage for me to boot into safe mode than full blown windows.

I burn using a linux boot CD and cpu burn in. Virually no processes :p I had problems with the Dothan causing reboots during burn in using windows. With a linux boot, it can run for days.

datura3 said:
I burn using a linux boot CD and cpu burn in. Virually no processes :p I had problems with the Dothan causing reboots during burn in using windows. With a linux boot, it can run for days.

Interesting.... is it just knoppix? I hadn't thought of using linux. How much does that do for increasing your stability in windows?

I'm doing this right now and I could swear I read somewhere that the CPU will get to a point where it will actually lose stability and that is where you need to hammer it the hardest? Senn, care to comment?

I realized that it works at pretty much any frequency you want to obtain, as long as you didn't hit the CPU's wall. For example, my little brother has a 2500 desktop barton that can probably do 2.3-2.4ghz with a lot more volts, but b/c we were going for silence I set his to 200x11 (2.2ghz) and did a burn-in. The stock voltage on that chip is 1.65v. We had to set it to 1.725v initially to obtain 200x11 stable, but after burn-ins we leveled it off at 1.675v, so basically he OCed his from 166x11 to 200x11 with almost stock volts, voltage up just one notch.

I had him using a somewhat decent CPU cooler, the Volcano 11+, and now he doesn't have to have the fan on full blast anymore like he did before. His PC is much more quiet.

My old winchester went from 295x9 as its top frequency and broke its wall to obtain 299x9 prime stable.

So you see... you can use this technique for more silence, or for a higher clock. :)

No.. I mean during the process, isn't there a phase when you actually lose stability?

You need to be more specific. I'm not understanding. Do you mean is there a time where the technique stops working? If that's what you mean, then yes... b/c if the technique would go on forever then eventually you would hit 0.0v, which is impossible anyways.

Usually you can shave off ~0.5v off your initial stable voltage that you had b4 the burn-in. K, I'm goin to bed... gnite. :)

I use an another program for burning my CPUs..
It's CPU Stretcher and can be found downloading O/c Bible's package click here OcForums users for more info and the latest version.
Yesterday I bought my first and new AMD Venice core 3200+.
Applying the Mapping method I found the first MSF.
Finally following a process which is described here at XtremeSystems I found the other MSFs...
Guidemania also includes the total guide --> Part 12.
Here an old system passed 8M SuperPi at 2310 MHz:

Attachments

• 2310 OK.jpg
    2310 OK.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,740
Last edited:
I just want to know how am I supposed to lower my vcore if my Bios doesn't permit it to go below the stock setting for my 3800x2? It just starts at 1.35v and goes up from there. There is no way to lower the voltagle below it's stock rating. So for the moment I'm doing the opposite... raising the mhz as high as it can run a stable burn in at stock volts.

mr sean kon, there is a different proggie now for burning in that you used?

kimo... yes, do what you said for starters... then when you get your OC, lower vcore from that OC and do it again... repeat process til final OC :)

Sorry for late response g0dM@n I am busy sometimes....
As I said above the full instructions for CPU Stretcher is at XtremeSystems thread and many people post there questions etc....
Moreover it is updated.

kimochii72 it is not necessary to reduce Vcore for burn-in.
OK some mainboards do not support undervoltage but this is not a problem.

Last edited:
Sentential said:
What you want to do is go to your maximum stable overclock. Take the usual volts and reduce them below what would normally be stable. However You want the voltage high enough that the PC will not crash for atleast a few hours during each session.
The way I read this is, finding the lowest voltage at the stock speed and doing the burn in is of no benefit. Is that correct?

Nevermind - did some more reading :)

Last edited:
Like what my sig says, this T-bred 2400+ won't OC as good as the one I used to have, but the multiplier isn't locked while on the other one, it is.

I have it at 2352 mhz (168x14.0) with the Vcore at 1.85V.

At 2352 mhz with the Vcore at 1.85V, Prime95 failed in exactly 5 minutes.

Thus I started the burn in process approximately 5 minutes ago.

For the people who didn't know, the burn-in process also works with ram.

One thing I've wondered is if it'll work with a videocard, but I don't feel like taking the risk. :)

I so far have been running CPU Burn-in for at least almost 48 hours now.

I wonder how long I should run it for at the minimum?

I've done 4 hour sessions with it, and they've been helpful, but I recommend 8-24 hours... anything more probably is not worth it... you may ask why, and my reasoning is this: instead of doing a 48 hour session, do a 12-24 hour seession and then move onto the next burn-in by either raising your fsb by 1mhz or lowering vcore one notch.

Back