• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sen's Burn-In Technique

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sentential

Contributing Member
By popular demand I figured I'd go ahead and start a proper thread concerning this matter. Alot of people see Burning-In CPUs and the like is a myth. Frankly there is evidence to support either or. With this in mind Ill go ahead and list the process.

The Thought Process:

The good ole, "that which does not kill me only makes me stronger". Much like an athlete you cannot take an average schmo off the streets and make him run a marathon. Sure, some people can do things better than others, but training is key to success.

Once you start the process you gotta be pretty hard with the CPU. Never allow it to back down, basically FORCE it to do as you say instead of apeasing to what it wants to do.

What we want to do is starve the CPU, lean off the fat, and train the chip to do what WE want, not what it wants.

The Method:

As per the discussion this method revolves around stariving your parts of power, thus making them more responsive to it. The beauty of this method is that it applies to ANYTHING. You can use this for RAM, CPUs, even GPU! I use this method on everything I own. :cool:

What you want to do is go to your maximum stable overclock. Take the usual volts and reduce them below what would normally be stable. However You want the voltage high enough that the PC will not crash for atleast a few hours during each session.

A great way to get a grip on "the sweet spot" is to use a program like Prime95 to get the stability down from 100% to about a couple minutes / 1 hour's worth. Also be sure write down the length of this "control / base" session. That way it will provide a solid marker to show what progress has or has not been made.

Here is an example of what I did with my 2600+M

Example (my 2600+)
261 x 10 = Stable at 1.875v
261 x 10 = Stable at 1.80v (for the burn in test)

From here you force the CPU to 100% load by any means you have. Good programs for doing this are: CPU Burn, Toast, F@H, S&M, SiSandra Burn In Utilitiy.

Be warned that you dont something that can error out. You want to force it to run for several hours at a time, REGUARDLESS OF ERRORS. Make sure all important data is backed up and stored off the primary HDD. There is a serious risk of ruining your OS from this, so be warned.

Also, keep in mind that if the PC is too unstable each session will be interupted by either a BSOD or a reboot. This is something you want to avoid *the very best you phsyically can*. If you are getting BSODs or Random Reboots you are pushing too hard and it will only hurt this process, not help.

[EDIT]
gvblake said:
[09:54] Blake: you should be more specific with some of the directions to avoid repeditive Q's from people. Like "how long is long enough?"
[09:54] Blake: jsut say like 6 hours or 4 hours or something concrete instead of "seversl hours"
[09:54] Sentential: oh right thnx

Generally speaking this method takes a long time. You normally want each session to last several hours at a time. Most people doing this (including myself) start to see results after the first week of burning in.

**Note that this is not consecutive session, but rather sporatic sessions done during the day (that are several hours in length).**

Good times for sessions are:

Before School
Before Going To Bed
Before Going to Work

I tend to leave it running anywhere from 4-8 hours at a time. If possible. Naturally the longer its left alone the faster the process will occur.

From here you move to phase 2 of my method.

Once you feel you have made serious progress towards burning your CPU in, verify it by comparing the new "control / base" stability run against your previous SuperPI or Prime95 session. If it appears to be significantally more stable than it did previously you can either choose to continue with what you have already and burn it in again with even lower vcore, more sessions at the same vcore or move to phase 3.

Phase 3 is what makes my method so popular. In this phase you return the newly burned CPU to its *original* vcore levels prior to burning it in. Depending on how much vcore you have shaved off, and how much more stable it was compared to the initial levels, you will see anywhere from 50-350mhz.

Progress Notes:

What usually happens is that the first couple of times/hours, nothing happens. Shortly there after there is a short phase which it will appear that your CPU is actually losing stability. THIS is the point where you want to push it the hardest. Once that subsides there is usually a small gain in speed which quickly gets larger, and larger, and larger.

Generally speaking those who have tried this have either:

A) Shaved .05v or more from their normal overclocks
B) Gained about 150-300mhz on their overclock using the old voltage
C) Very little gain, almost negligable
D) Nothing at all.

Final Notes:

It usually takes a couple times to get the hang of it, but keep with it. While this is not GARUNTEED to work it does to some extent on any CPU reguardless of how old it is. As always your milliage *will* vary.

Member Results:

AthlonXP:
Sentential: 1800XP+ (2272mhz @ 1.82v -----> 2370 @ 1.75v)
Sentential: 2400XP+M (2412mhz @ 1.875v -----> 2460 @ 1.8v)
Sentential: 2600XP+M (2610mhz @ 1.825v -----> 2630 @ 1.75v)

Athlon64 (S754):

Athlon64 (S939):
Sentential: 3200+ (2415mhz @ 1.54v -----> 2445 @ 1.49v)

Pentium4 (S478):

Pentium4 (LGA775):
Sentential: 640 (3968mhz @ 1.44v -----> 4048 @ 1.42v)

Last edited:
Nice work; this is sticky worthy in my eyes ;)
Just remember to RE-test for stability with Prime95 and/or 3DMark (or whatever your favorite stability testing program may be) after you have burned-in.

The burn-in works the best on Bartons, IMO. It has worked on my Winnie, also.

Bout time you made a nice, neat tutorial for this. Thanks, Sen.

Nice Tri, ting. I just finished my creatine, and I'm gonna start a different program for the next 5 weeks to cut down. My cousin is a trainer and also my work-out partner. We're gonna run for the next 5 weeks, along with plyometrics. We're still gonna lift, but not for strength. I was doing strength the past 2 months.

I hope that is you in your sig, so I don't sound like an idiot. You're not so far from meh...

------------------------------------
Back on topic:
------------------------------------

You know what I was wondering?!?!?

I've heard of people doing a burn-in on their ram, but what about video cards??? Could you burn in a video card? I mean, if it works on a CORE (cpu) and on MEMORY (dimm), then why not on the GPU and Memory of a video card?

ty, good to see some oc'rs hitting the gym :D, im not ready for creatine yet you gota be 16-17 to use it :X, and yes me in my avatar

i think you can burn in ur g-card with that hldrlb thing

How old are ya? It was my first cycle of it. I did about 6-7 weeks of it til the bottle of powder was done. It was called 'Jacked', and it was Hard Lemonade flavoring. I got used to it after a while, but it doesn't taste good at all. I'm taking the next 5 weeks off from Creatine, and then I'll buy some more again. It helped me jump about 20-25lbs on each arm for dumbells on chest, on both flat AND incline. Also, I went up from like 70-75 lbs skull crushers to like 95 lbs, and I could still push 9-10 reps on 95lbs. Too bad I stopped b/c I coulda pushed more. I just don't want to stay on the stuff too long b/c I don't want to become immune to it. I'm going to do like 1.5 months on and 1 month off cycling...

im 15, damn those r some great results from it, im still gona stick to regular egg whites, peanut butter, alot of milk, they work great :D

Stuck so that I can find it again if/when I ever get the cash for a new system (and if Venice does as well as rumors suggest) ;)

...Wait, you mean you guys wanted it stuck anyway?? :D
JigPu

Thankeee very much for the great guide Sentential. I am weening my Winnie (dat sounds nasty)- got it down to 1.425Vcore right now 250x10. I ran cpu burn for 8 hrs today at 1.4 then got cocky and tried to play Counterstrike Source. It locked after about 10 minutes. I had just come back to the forums to freshen up on your method. Each time I wanted to do so I had to go to the search functon unless it was bumped to the first page 'cause someone was praising you in the "Sententials Burn in worked for me" thread or attempting to convince us it is just a load o' bull.:rolleyes:
Now, thanks to our beloved JigPu, the kind and benevolent, we all have instant no-muss-no-fuss access to to you'r most excellent OC enhancing "Chip Basic Training Camp" :clap:

been workin great so far got my stable OC from 1.775v to 1.725 :p .

But anyway sen how bout removin F@H from your list of recommended progs ? As unstable OC's may produce bad results and bad results dun help the folding project in anyway.

Someone said that this works best on Bartons. Well I have a 2700 Tbred. Is it worth me doing? And I mean what is the risks in screwing the chip up?worth it?

Thanks
JB

jblostsoul said:
Someone said that this works best on Bartons. Well I have a 2700 Tbred. Is it worth me doing? And I mean what is the risks in screwing the chip up?worth it?

Thanks
JB
It works on anything made of silicon....anything!

zonama™ said:
But anyway sen how bout removin F@H from your list of recommended progs ? As unstable OC's may produce bad results and bad results dun help the folding project in anyway.
actually the perfect way to do this is get something massively intensive (600pt gromac) backup work folder to remote location then finish out folding it block f@h from getting to the web then keep refeeding it the 600pointer you have on tap for this...

Back