• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp-120 Things going bad need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
slotted said:
Tried the feeling method and there is consistent heat around all pipes as for the thermal pastes Dam! I was going to take a picture but from what I saw the contact looked great on all 4 occasions there was a perfect circle on all 4 occasions when I seated it I cleaned the CPU and HS on all occasions and started from scratch. The only time it looked dodgy was the first as it looked like there was too much, all other times was just as pictured on the AS5 web site. On all fittings I had help to insure no air pockets and to assist in a small twist before I locked down.

Seems like heatpipes and base flatness are all check.

Are you sure those temps are correct? Perhaps your motherboard is reporting wrong. 44 C idle is a bit hot, even for a prescott.

Have you measured the CPU temp with a diode?

Another thing to note:
there have been cases where the exact same CPU had vastly different temps--so much, in fact, that it was causing throttling. Intel said the problem was a defective IHS mounting, and they RMA'd the chip; the replacement ran, IIRC, 15C or more cooler.

I had two 3.4C's, that had a 5C difference in load temps. Consistently tested.

Someone said that you were using a Vantec Stealth. Yes, those fans are fine with northwoods but not so fine with Prescotts, but you ALSO Said that you tried a "big noisy" fan---i'm assuming something much better than a Stealth, and you still had high temps, right? .......

Your Problem is the Vantec Stealth. They don't have any static pressure. With the 120mm Stealth in place you're getting simular results to if you went passive and placed the computer in a room that is really drafty.

Can you recommend an alternative fan (noise is not an issue for me) also I did try swapping that fan for one of my case fans there faster and chunkier and run from the power pack as appose to the MB. To be honest I am to fans what Stevie wonder is to basketball

Judging how close your fans are together, I would highly advise ducting your CPU fan to the outside of the side of your case. Then have your rear case fan as intake.

Im going to try the ducting to the side window fan (80mm) question though 1. What config do I have the fans to suck blow ect 2. how low to a put the duct ie to the base of the XP-120 or the base of the fan

I have a small suggestion that may slightly improve your case temps. I know 24C is decent, but my motherboard reads 18C idling and 20C full load for case temps. As you know, lower case temps usually mean lower CPU temps. It might not be a big improvement, but it sounds like you can use every bit of help you can get.

The suggestion is simple: move your HDD from the top rack of the internal drive cage to the bottom rack. The size and orientation of the gap between your video card and the HDD/cables is far from ideal in your current configuration. It severely hampers the airflow in your case as there is not a clear path for the intake air to flow through across the CPU and out the exhaust. When I made this change in my case, I saw case temps drop about 5C. However, in my case the restriction was a bit worse. I would suggest giving it a try--you may or may not see improvement.

hey the feed back has been great many thanks for all your help, also i will move the HD down when i get home from work see if that and the ducting helps

The temps are a little high.I have a 560J and it runs alot hotter than most of my other cpus,full load with dual prime and 1 xp120 is about 56-60C. with the fan on low it would start to throttle at 60C at default speeds 3.6G and 1.4Vcore.
I second the faster fan idea.

I thought your temps had dropped with the xp120 install.

they had but it was a quick tester as i was all excited but actually there not much better also i have just noticed that the graphics card is giving of some serious heat

slotted said:
DSCF0040.JPG

DSCF0042.JPG

DSCF0043.JPG

1 x 120 mm fan rear and front and 1 x 80mm top of case 1 x 80mm side of case and 1 x 120 mm on HS

1 on the back blows out 1 on the roof blows out one on the front and side(case) blows in the PCU sucks in and out of the back and the HS fan have tried both ways but find best temp when it sucks air away from the xp-120 and not on it

I have exactly the same fan/Heatsink combo as you have. My temps are 44 degs idle, anything upto 65 degrees full load depending on room temp. I have also tried a more powerful YS tech 125CFM fan with barely different results, and im using a coolermaster stacker case which is huge. My case temps can rise to about 35degs under prime95 testing. Ive also lapped both the CPU and the heatsink with not much different results. All of this is base on my 3.2e running at 3.8 @ 1.5375 volts. Im also using a CM cross flow fan specially designed for this case.

DSCF0116.JPG

And with an Antec Green LED 120mm fan

DSCF0026.JPG

You know slotted, looking at your case pictures it looks like the fresh air coming into your case from the rear fan is being sucked straight into the PSU and then back out. That might be good for your PSU but not good for your case temp or your CPU temp. Turning the rear fan around might help, although the rear fan might be fighting the PSU intake fan for air, which can create a whine noise and starve the PSU of air.

I might suggest removing the rear fan, blocking the rear vents and cutting a hole in your side panel and placing the fan there so it is blowing fresh air straight onto the CPU heatsink and fan assembly.

Thanks for all your help I have got allot to think about I think my main aim is to duct the xp-120 and fan to a 120m side fan as well so it has its own supply of air and doesn’t have to compete for it. I have a good feeling that this processor just runs hot as I haven’t seen anyone with low temps with a similar setup I think all my changes will still not make it under 60 on max load ill keep you posted .

slotted said:
Thanks for all your help I have got allot to think about I think my main aim is to duct the xp-120 and fan to a 120m side fan as well so it has its own supply of air and doesn’t have to compete for it. I have a good feeling that this processor just runs hot as I haven’t seen anyone with low temps with a similar setup I think all my changes will still not make it under 60 on max load ill keep you posted .

Tried that, didnt work with the XP120, although believe it or not, on my previous AOPEN case, i ducted with a 120mm fan straight onto the retail P4 heatsink with amazing results, fully loaded was around 56 degrees @ 3.8ghz @ 1.5375 vcore.

Back