Registered

How to block yahoo radio..?

Is there anyway to block yahoo radio? My boss asked me to, because some people were using it when they shouldn't be. He doesn't used to mind them using it, but some people have started to abuse it.
    Can I block just the radio part, and not the yahoo.com its self? Cause I know i can just block yahoo on my firewall, but I would still like to use that.

Forums Super Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Hiding from Americans and making pretty colours in a drybox in St Andrews
    You can block the ports the radio uses on the firewall.

Or add http://music.yahoo.com/ to the hosts file as 127.0.0.1, or to the IP of a server with a page saying "Yahoo Radio not allowed at work" or whatever.
    David J. Nelson MChem(Edin) PhD(Strath) MRSC [ResearcherID: D-3927-2011]
    OC Forums Super Moderator // Overclockers.com Editor

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
    The HTPC/Server: AMD Phenom X4 9650 / 6 GB DDR2 / nVidia 8300 / 5 TB of HDDs / Antec Solo II Case / Windows 7
    The Gaming Rig: AMD Llano A6-3650 / 4 GB DDR3 / nVidia GTX260 / 2x 500 GB HDD in RAID0 / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
    The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.

Quote Originally Posted by J_5
    Is there anyway to block yahoo radio? My boss asked me to, because some people were using it when they shouldn't be. He doesn't used to mind them using it, but some people have started to abuse it.
    Can I block just the radio part, and not the yahoo.com its self? Cause I know i can just block yahoo on my firewall, but I would still like to use that.

Can't just block yahoo....it's not that simple. I went through trying to block games, chat, email, etc.....found out I can't block the pages, but I could block (by IP) the login servers. The above advice should be your fix

well, if you want a more transparant solution, route all port 80 based traffic to a server running squid with linux on transparant proxy, and then filter through squid. because while the hosts idea is good, an avid user can simply change that file or disable hosts altogether. or, you can set a firewall rule that filters all inbound traffic from port 1755 for both tcp and udp. if you need further blocking rules, consider using smoothwall in conjunction to snort to create an reactive firewall base on packet pattern, and stick the packet pattern of media player streaming header in it

Why not just remove user access to WMP/Quicktime/WinAmp or whatever app they are using to listen to the stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by elfiena
    well, if you want a more transparant solution, route all port 80 based traffic to a server running squid with linux on transparant proxy, and then filter through squid. because while the hosts idea is good, an avid user can simply change that file or disable hosts altogether. or, you can set a firewall rule that filters all inbound traffic from port 1755 for both tcp and udp. if you need further blocking rules, consider using smoothwall in conjunction to snort to create an reactive firewall base on packet pattern, and stick the packet pattern of media player streaming header in it

is that english?

Quote Originally Posted by diggingforgold
    Why not just remove user access to WMP/Quicktime/WinAmp or whatever app they are using to listen to the stuff?

it uses an IE / browser window.

,`, Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part ,`,
    ,`, The trouble with life is theres no background music ,`,
    ,`, Life isnt short, you're just dead for too long,`,

Quote Originally Posted by cw823
    is that english?
    engrish me no understand, faave dollah me love you long time j/k