• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to block yahoo radio..?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J_5

Registered
Is there anyway to block yahoo radio? My boss asked me to, because some people were using it when they shouldn't be. He doesn't used to mind them using it, but some people have started to abuse it.
Can I block just the radio part, and not the yahoo.com its self? Cause I know i can just block yahoo on my firewall, but I would still like to use that.

You can block the ports the radio uses on the firewall.

Or add http://music.yahoo.com/ to the hosts file as 127.0.0.1, or to the IP of a server with a page saying "Yahoo Radio not allowed at work" or whatever.

J_5 said:
Is there anyway to block yahoo radio? My boss asked me to, because some people were using it when they shouldn't be. He doesn't used to mind them using it, but some people have started to abuse it.
Can I block just the radio part, and not the yahoo.com its self? Cause I know i can just block yahoo on my firewall, but I would still like to use that.

Can't just block yahoo....it's not that simple. I went through trying to block games, chat, email, etc.....found out I can't block the pages, but I could block (by IP) the login servers. The above advice should be your fix

well, if you want a more transparant solution, route all port 80 based traffic to a server running squid with linux on transparant proxy, and then filter through squid. because while the hosts idea is good, an avid user can simply change that file or disable hosts altogether. or, you can set a firewall rule that filters all inbound traffic from port 1755 for both tcp and udp. if you need further blocking rules, consider using smoothwall in conjunction to snort to create an reactive firewall base on packet pattern, and stick the packet pattern of media player streaming header in it

elfiena said:
well, if you want a more transparant solution, route all port 80 based traffic to a server running squid with linux on transparant proxy, and then filter through squid. because while the hosts idea is good, an avid user can simply change that file or disable hosts altogether. or, you can set a firewall rule that filters all inbound traffic from port 1755 for both tcp and udp. if you need further blocking rules, consider using smoothwall in conjunction to snort to create an reactive firewall base on packet pattern, and stick the packet pattern of media player streaming header in it

is that english? ;)

Back