• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

palee72

Well, I finally did it. I took the jump and installed Fedora Core 3. Install went ok, no issues. I was able to do a dual boot with my XPpro. I'm currently downloading and installing all updates.

So, welcome me.. one and all.. as I'm sure I'll have many questions. The first of which will be trying to network it with my current XP and win2k on my network w/no server.

Lee

All you need to access windows file shares and printers and allow windows machines to access shares on Linux is samba. Assuming of course you have your network connection set up first.

I'm dabbling in the Knoppix boot CD as well. I have to get really used to it, and then I'll jump too. I use it for internet stuff, especially when Windows junks up my connection and makes it slooooowww. I hop over to Linux, cruise the net like nobody's biznazz.

Flamed_Chip said:
All you need to access windows file shares and printers and allow windows machines to access shares on Linux is samba. Assuming of course you have your network connection set up first.

LinNeighborhood is a great GUI Samba front end. Sure beats trying to guess the names of the computers in your work group.

http://www.bnro.de/~schmidjo/

yeah.. being new to this, never having used anything but windows, I feel a little overwhelmed.

I'm trying to install the windows file server using the add/remove packages. However, when I go to update, it says that it cant find samba-common.

So, I find the samba-common package, goto install it, and it tells me that it is already installed..

I'm confused... lol

another interesting thing.. if I go into the service configuration panal, listed next to winbindd is this message "winbindd dead but subsys locked". any ideas?

Thanks for all and any help

Lee

I only had FC3 for a little bit, but have you tried doing yum insert packagename here? This should resolve all of your dependencies. It's a little like emerge for Gentoo except I don't think it compiles things.

Back