• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Coppermine is an 800 Celly o/ced to 1.2 gig equivalent to?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clevor

I'm a gamer so I'm talking performance-wise, like maybe frame rates in QuakeIII and MadOnion benches.

I presume it will only perform as well as perhaps an 800 Coppermine on a 100 or 133 FSB?

Hi Clevor,
You're right, it's very close to a P/// 800-900Mhz, coz all the Pentium's /// have a double cache memory than the Cellie's, and greatly increase performance, especially in 3d Gaming.

I hope it helps you ;)

dont forget...the CPU isn't the only part of your system that will affect framerates

RAM, vid card, and even mobo can all affect framerate significantly

Well, as far as I can make out, my Celly at 1008 goes at the same speed as a PIII at the same clock speed. That's what 3Dmark shows anyway. Um, actually, it apparently goes a little bit faster in some areas.

dont trust 3Dmark charts, it often claims that i beat my own video card, athlon 1.1ghzs, p1ghzs, 3dmark is just crazy......

Well, if an 800 Celly overclocked to 1.2 gig is equivalent to a 1 gig PentiumIII (even on a 100 FSB), that's a heck of a cheap way of getting the same performance, since a Celly costs maybe $50 ($85 if you get a guaranteed overclock one).

But I think it's too good to be true and I presume it will perform equal to an 800 PentiumIII, or even worse on some benchmarks. Although even 800 chips are running around $150 now.

No flaming guys, but your a bit misguided with the cekleron performance i gather! A 800 celly overclocked to 1200 has a REALY fast 150Mhz FSB. If you combine this with CAS 2 memory, you come up with a sytem that performs identicaly to a 1000/133 copperimne system. And thats for raw cpu power in games, i`m not into mp3 or divx compression. If you check the frames pumped by the 2 systems in q3 for eg. low detail 640*480 (greatly cpu dependant), or 3dmark2001(high detail gaming tests also being CPU dependant), you will come up with the same results. Naturally, incerasing resolution will result in your videocard blocking the frames (unless you have a gf3 :)

Yep Nightlord, I was thinking about that 150 FSB it's running at. And I got some Tonicom and Mushkin Rev. 3 ram that will do 150 2-2-2 no sweat.

And you have to figure the new 1.2 Cellys coming out don't do that on the 150 FSB ('course they may overclock some too).

And you guys are right, at some point, the video card is the limiting factor unless you got a Geforce3 or Radeon 8500, or something.

Don`t think they can do 1800Mhz, but even at 1596/133 they are way faster than a coppermine celeron 1200/150. If i`m calculating right using the published tests, the new celly oc-d to 133Mhz is about 30% faster than the old one at 1200/150
(in q3 fps scores, for they are simple to count with, and reflect perfectly the overall performance).

`Bout the other thing. I`d say, that the CPU determines the maximum number of fps you can get in a game (say q3 again:), and the videocard determines the maximum resolution and color depth you will be able to maintain that CPU provided FPS at. Hope you get my point.
So for eg, on a cely 1200/150, say you can maintan a pleasant 125fps in q3. On a TNT2 videocard, at 640*480 at best, on a gf2mx 800*600 - 1024*768, on a gef2 1280*960 or rather at 1024*768*32bit.

Back