• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a64 @ 2.8...Venice faster?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WA2

Is it worth it to upgrade now if I am at 2.8 on my A64?

I know they oc well, but I am talking Mhz for Mhz..

If I were you, I'd sell the 3500+ and pick up a low-end Venice instead. Provided it avoids the cold bug, you should have no problem hitting your speed given your cooling with some change to spare. Of course, that may be too much for some, so the choice is yours to make.

deception``

I agree with Deception...2.8GHz on a modded Mach II is also on the low side...I can bench at that on air, and my processor isn't even that great. If Venice is even half decent, it should do 3.0-3.1 at least on cooling like that, and 3.2 might even be possible with the right chip.

I agree with Deception...2.8GHz on a modded Mach II is also on the low side...I can bench at that on air, and my processor isn't even that great. If Venice is even half decent, it should do 3.0-3.1 at least on cooling like that, and 3.2 might even be possible with the right chip. And even if you only match the same speeds, cash is always a good thing.

I'll tell you how the 3500+ does under phase tomorrow :p

On topic though, i would sell the current chip, and pick up a new one in hopes to hit higher clocks. You're obviously an enthusiest (judgeing by the cooling) so i'm supprised you would even ask. And even if you did get *only* a 200MHz boost, in overclocking that's a big difference, at least to me. Gonna go with Deception`` and Gautam on this one.

Well, the paln was to pick one up..I was just curious what others thought. :)
Also, the 3500 is up for sale. I also just picked up an A64 3200 to see what it could do, been curios. But I will still have the funds from the 3500 (if it sells) to get a Venice.

WA2 said:
Well, the paln was to pick one up..I was just curious what others thought. :)
Also, the 3500 is up for sale. I also just picked up an A64 3200 to see what it could do, been curios. But I will still have the funds from the 3500 (if it sells) to get a Venice.

From the enthusiests everyone is gonna tell you to get Venice, the budget guys will say it isn't worth the money for an extra few hundred MHz, you be the judge :p GL with Venice.

Burnt_Ram said:
how much you want for the 2.8 a64 you dont need anymore ;) as you can see my winnie is a dud. it will only do 2385 @ 1.65v :(

That is 2.8 an a MACH II (Prometeia). I am selling it for 235..would even let it go for $230, but pm me about it.

BeerHunter said:
sucka today is tomorrow:)

And the chip is sitting at my wifes office at Fed-Ex!@# She doesn't go into work until 3pm pst, which is when i will follow her there to get my chip! Should see how it does under phase this afternoon, already broke down the FX to get ready for her :p

Sweet!!! (u suck =P) BE SURE you let us know. I am so excited for this chip...feel like a child at xmas :D

Will the Venice be = to your FX if 3.2 is reached?

Last edited:
WA2 said:
Sweet!!! (u suck =P) BE SURE you let us know. I am so excited for this chip...feel like a child at xmas :D

Will the Venice be = to your FX if 3.2 is reached?

To equal my FX at 3200MHz i'll need it at about 3300-3400MHz. At equal clocks, it will be close in a lot of benches, but overall the 512kb less cache is gonna make a difference. Unless this thing will do 3200MHz+ (which i have my doubts it will) i won't keep it longer than the weekend. I just wanted to test them out myself before prices rise/supply goes down. Next up, 3700+ San Diego. Now that will go clock for clock with the FX, only thing it will lack is unlocked multi. GL with yours. If someone would post on these chips, we'll know how they are *all* gonna do because i'm assuming they're all gonna be from the same batch (the Newegg ones of course).

Folks,

I keep wondering why the stock voltage for a Venice is 1.5 like the NC and unlike the Winchester. Is this an indicater for likely heat issues?

Back