• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Headphone FAQ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It sort of is, yeah. I got a good deal on some HD595's, and they'll be coming in this week, I think. I'm hoping those will do it for me before I decide I want an amp, some MS-1's, K501's, EMU 0404...:D

Trying to be strong over here.

johan851 said:
A lot of high end headphones have a lot of impedance (I've seen as high as 600ohms) that most normal headphones don't have. A device like an iPod or a soundcard can't provide the voltage/amperage that these headphones need to be driven properly, and an amp amplifies the signal to the headphone so that it gets the power requirement it needs. Usually makes it sound a lot better, less distorted, fuller, etc.

Do those headphones come with an amplifier?

I have to buy them separately?

Nope, none do. The amp is a stand alone unit, and you can spend anywhere between $50 and $3000 on one.

Thx for the thread. I just bought a pair of Sony XD400 from Newegg which should arrive Thursday.

I wasn't too worried about sound quality, but I wanted something good in this price range, and you really saved me a lot of time looking around. Appreciated.

So how do I know which headphone will need an amp?

For example, the Sennheiser HD580 and HD595, what amp do they need???

Almost any dynamic headphone will work without an amp. All headphones benefit to some extent from an external amp with some headphones benefitting more than others. Inefficient, high resistance drivers usually mandate a good amp. This includes the HD-580 & HD-600.

mcoleg said:
it's addictive, isn't it?
It's beyond addictive. I mean, how many pairs of headphones can your average, non-mutant H. sapien listen to at any one time? One. Or two half pairs, if that's your thing. But either way, once you start down the path, forever will it dominate your existence. At least your aural existence.

Run away. Far, far away. And fast. Especially you, johan851, while you still have time ;)

As for amps, almost any dynamic can will benefit to some degree (though I've heard that some, lower end ATs in particular, change but a wee small bit) from an amp. Electrostats, AFAIK, must have an amp to function.

I can say for a fact that my AT A900's sound MUCH better with an amp than without. With an amp the bass is much more present and the highs sparkle.

Mito, those SA3000 won't really need an amp, they are only 70 ohms. i've got sens 555 that are 120 ohm and i can still use them without one. it's not saying that they might not benefit from one but it's not a requirement.

C38368, "beyond addictive" is right... :p

Cyrix_2k said:
I can say for a fact that my AT A900's sound MUCH better with an amp than without. With an amp the bass is much more present and the highs sparkle.

Do you use an amp even if you connect your ath-a900 to a receiver, for example?

Back