• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is better

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevin_bouchard

is it better to have 512mb of pc-133 sdram of 256mb of ddrpc2100(or the pc is close to that number).
And why cant we mix ddr and sdram?
This system would be used as a gaming/internet pc

here's my take:

get the 256 mb pc2100. That's plenty of ram and it's moves more data per cycle. (your mobo/chipset will have a huge impact on how just much better the ddr ram performs)

Some boards let you use either type, but only to allow for the transition, I think. someday sdram boards will get hard to find.

(Remember ISA? although the analolgy doesn't hold because you can use pci and isa simultaneously...) :p

The boards that let you choose have enough capacity for either type that the benefit of being able to mix doesn't outweigh the hassle of engineering a system to access both types simultaneously. JMO, anyway.

Good luck.

I now have 256 megs of pc2400 @133 mhz , which is running much faster than my old 384 megs of regulat pc133 so i think that DDR is faster even though there is less, the amount of meme has no impact on speed. So get DDR 128 DDR will still get better scores then 512 SDRAM

thanks, I am building a pc for my dad and was wondering if i should go with ddr or sdram, now i know go with ddr.
thanks again:D

Back