• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just purchased a dremel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Reyn said:
have you personally done it? just curious.

when u cut a side panel with a jigsaw, where and how do you place the side panel? how do you start the cut?

I have cut most of my holes using a jig saw. Lay out your cutlines, drill a 1/2" or larger starte hole in a corner inside the layout of the pattern. Then use your jig saw and cut as close to the line as possible. Then go back and use the dremel to do any finish and clean up work.

Reyn said:
question, when I cut my side panel, how am I going to secure it to a flat surface? what do you guys use as backing or what ever, I'd like some detailed description

What I typically do is use a C-clamp to affix the work to my workbench; which
has a piece of scrap plywood attached. I usually work on the part hanging
off the bench but nice to have the plywood underneath in case the toolbit breaks through.

Susquehannock-trc1.jpg

Susquehannock-spin3.jpg

Safety First ......... safety glasses & dust mask are a must. Look at
the pile of metal dust. You don't want to breath that stuff in or your next
chest X-ray will look like christmas.
Hearing protection is good too. You won't see my plugs in the image because
they're still in my ears. ;)

Susquehannock said:
You don't want to breath that stuff in or your next
chest X-ray will look like christmas.

you are a poet at heart rofl.

Reyn said:
have you personally done it? just curious.

when u cut a side panel with a jigsaw, where and how do you place the side panel? how do you start the cut?

You drill a hole to start, like electron chaser said... then you cut INSIDE the lines, so you can file it down if you miss the line... and then you can mold it if you want (I personally like it without molding, thank you)

If you can afford it, get a grinder. It cuts through cases like butter :).

Back