• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just purchased a dremel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It probably came with some cutoff wheels. They're not very strong and won't have a fun time (will wear down VERY fast and break easily) ... but they will cut through aluminum and steel casing.

It's recommended that you buy reinforced cutoff wheels for it though.

^^ What he said.

Reinforced cut off wheelsa re the only way to go. Honestly, I tried buyign a 30 pack of the cheapos during my first mod, and I got through about 20 not before I was a 12 inches from where I started cutting. The non reinforced will break and wear away very fast. not true of the reinforced.

They should sell them wherver you bought the dremel from.

those are just cheap accesories to give away with the dremel so you feel that you can use it without buying more stuff. not much use other than for wood maybe. the fiberglass reinforced cutting-disks are what you want. get the extra large ones if you can. they still wear down fairly fast if you're cutting steel and they are fairly expensive as well. but they are more than worth it

question, when I cut my side panel, how am I going to secure it to a flat surface? what do you guys use as backing or what ever, I'd like some detailed description

don't forget that there cant be anything underneath the panel when you're cutting it. i find the best holder for the sidepanel is just to leave it on the case. the whole case won't budge and it catches alot of the filings. you may want to line the inside of the case with something to catch the filings or just clean it out really well when you're done. having a lot of support for the panel from behind is not that important since you shouldn't be pushing down hard when cutting

Quick tip for you. Take your time while cutting! I've always found that once I start cutting, the tool will have a speed it likes to cut through the material. If you try and force the tool to cut faster then that, you will start breaking wheels. Let the tool do the work, and you'll save yourself a lot of headaches.

A trash can is a good place to cut on since its open in the middle and it helps in clean up. But i found it easier to use tin snips to cut out the hole then use the dremel for cleaning it up.

i would like to reiterate the fact that letting the tool do the work will get you a whole lot farther than forcing it... I've been able to do a 120mm hole with only 2 NON-reinforced cutting wheels before...it's a matter of practice though...when i started i went through a 30 pack on about 24 in. of cutting(non-reinforced)

the garynator said:
I've been able to do a 120mm hole with only 2 NON-reinforced cutting wheels before...

were you cutting paper or something? well i've always worked on steel which is a b**** to work on with a dremel but congrats for that. you must have some good dremeling skills :)

Please, please, please don't forget to wear safety glasses while cutting. Steel or aluminum shards in the eye is no fun. Trust me.

What about the aluminum cutting bit that they sell? Will this work as well? I think its like a tungsten carbide bit.

troutbumoh said:
What about the aluminum cutting bit that they sell? Will this work as well? I think its like a tungsten carbide bit.

those bits are not for cutting straight lines. i generally use them to drill out rivets and stuff like that, when a regular drill bit just doesn't do the job fast enough

SolidxSnake said:
get a jigsaw instead... they are MUCH easier to cut things like that

have you personally done it? just curious.

when u cut a side panel with a jigsaw, where and how do you place the side panel? how do you start the cut?

To get the best value for my money, I shop a little and usually I will buy the kits of cutting wheels. For some reason the Home Depot I purchase Dremel stuff from will sell the starter kits for a lot less than the than the total cost of the equivalent number of wheels purchased separately

Back