• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Overvolting Works, The Dangers of Overvolting, and "Safe" Overvolting Technique

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've only read half the thread, however, to address some issues...there is a specific isotope of mercury that is not toxic, the heat capacity of pure gallium is lower then that of water, by about 100 Kj/kgK therefore will not cool as efficiently as water however it will do the job well (78% as good as water, this is assuming pure gallium). However, because the vapor pressure is lower (posted by someone? read it somewhere on this thread, it implies a mixed substance) the melting point is lower therefore specific heat may actually be lower, or higher, depending on the composition of the mixture. For the enthusiast removing the liquid metal block and using water would most likely be better. The only advantage I see without knowing more about the metal's composition (other then the fact that gallium is part of the mixture) is silent cooling which will eventually become mainstream for silent pc's. Don’t flame me yet, I've still got the rest of the thread to read :p

Well, in any case, this is a good start. Every sticky has room for the "edit" button.

Goodk work, felinusz! Always remember, visual aid is a HUGE PLUS!

WRex

I've only read half the thread, however, to address some issues...there is a specific isotope of mercury that is not toxic, the heat capacity of pure gallium is lower then that of water, by about 100 Kj/kgK therefore will not cool as efficiently as water however it will do the job well (78% as good as water, this is assuming pure gallium). However, because the vapor pressure is lower (posted by someone? read it somewhere on this thread, it implies a mixed substance) the melting point is lower therefore specific heat may actually be lower, or higher, depending on the composition of the mixture. For the enthusiast removing the liquid metal block and using water would most likely be better. The only advantage I see without knowing more about the metal's composition (other then the fact that gallium is part of the mixture) is silent cooling which will eventually become mainstream for silent pc's. Don’t flame me yet, I've still got the rest of the thread to read :p

I think you got the wrong thread ;). The Liquid Gallium cooling thread is here: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=387570

Gnufsh said:
What about big macs?

What about Mac trucks? lol

------------------------------------

^^That's not why I'm posting again, but Gnufsh thanks for the elecrtomigration read. I read it at work. I've taken thermodynamics at college (got a BS in Physics), but I forget LOTS!

g0dM@n said:
What about Mac trucks? lol
AFAIK, those aren't edible. I must admit, though, that I never tried to eat one, so maybe they are.

^^That's not why I'm posting again, but Gnufsh thanks for the elecrtomigration read. I read it at work. I've taken thermodynamics at college (got a BS in Physics), but I forget LOTS!
I didn't learn anything like that at all in my thermodynamics class (I'm about a year away from having a BA in Physics).

Very nice work!!I got it now.. but How do they shrink those migrant electrical workers and what kind of surface do they run on? hehe jk

Awesome guide! Thanks for all the work that went into it. . .

Would it be possible to also describe in the technical discussion how cooling a CPU comes into play. What does it do exactly in the CPU that enables the CPU to overclock higher? And is there another analogy that could be used for that as well?

When you cool the processor it dos two things first the lower the temp theirs less power loss because it conduct elect better second gates close faster when their cold author people can go into it a lot better then I can

lclark2074 said:
When you cool the processor it dos two things first the lower the temp theirs less power loss because it conduct elect better second gates close faster when their cold author people can go into it a lot better then I can
Thanks, that does help. :)

Nice thread! Are there any programs that you can overvolt with? My bios only lets my overvolt my cpu and in percentages( 15%, and 30%)

One word:

Wow.

Excellent guide!

Question: Are there any dangers to undervolting? I have my 2500+ running at 1.45v instead of (what i think is stock) 1.65v because it was overheating, and haven't had a heat problem since, but is it dangerous?

Nope, undervolting is certainly NOT dangerous, and is a great way to save on power, extend part life-expectancies, and "overclock" without overclocking anything ;)

Just make sure that your chip can run with complete stability at the active signal voltage you are using.

If it is stable there, running it undervolted should actually prolong its life :)

wow, great! thanks. :)

it -seems- stable. no crashes, no signs of overheating... but linux did give me a 'cpu overload' messagebox i had never seen before. after i clicked ok, all was fine, nothing seemed out of place... hey, I didn't even notice a speed decrease, though i rarely used the full power of it... strange...

If you haven’t Chang your buss speed there should not be speed difference in the computer speed. The volts that the manufacture gives you are to guarantee that the computer works right! Also have you tried APP that use the math co and MMX? There are programs like Sissoft Sandra that will tell you this. I don’t know witch programs that work in linux.

No, I'll have to try them, thanks! :) I can still boot into WinXP with a restart, though I'll have to reinstall windows if I have to run anything graphically intensive in it.

Is there any harm in changing the bus speed? I changed it from 166mhz to 133mhz and it recognized the processor as an Athlon XP 1900+ or somewhere around there, but I got worried and changed it back.

Back