• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My experience with first WC set up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I officially give up on these clamps. They keep leaking and it is getting annoying. Gonna try with zip tie tomorrow.

these are some pics. Let me know if you guys wanna see anything else. Nothing here in particular. The cables are as clean as it gets I think, minus some that I have not hidden them. Any recommendation will do. Enjoy

Attachments

• DSC00364.JPG
    DSC00364.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC00365.JPG
    DSC00365.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC00367.JPG
    DSC00367.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 89
that is one of the cleanest builds i have seen :santa: some sanding (and widening) of the blow hole is in order but other than that its sweet :cool:
good job

itchy5 said:
that is one of the cleanest builds i have seen :santa: some sanding (and widening) of the blow hole is in order but other than that its sweet :cool:
good job

Thanks and totally agree with you. I got kinda tired after all the drilling. I'm currenly happy with that. I might do some more modding once I get back to Thailand though. Now I'm just trying to get the system running without leaking.

Edited: Does Home Depot sell zip tie? I looked at the online website and searched for zip tie but nothing came up. Do u guys know what else it can be called? Thanks.

Last edited:
pakkapon said:
MVC, Do u still find leak if you move around? Currently my system is leak free, but I'm afraid if I move my computer, it could start leaking again even though the clamps are tighten.

It shouldn't leak no matter how you move it. I wonder if you've just got bad clamps--either too big or damaged somehow.... Try the zip ties, and for getting them real tight just use a pair of needle nose pliers "twisting" them so that they pull it tight using the hose and barb for leverage; there's no need to buy another tool.

Oh, and silicone is a sealant that comes in tubes (Home Depot should have it in the isle with calking and sandpaper--or at least the one near me does). But, the hoses should fit well enough that this isn't necessary. If you do use it, you'll have to cut the hoses off to remove them or risk damaging the barb trying to get them off some other way.

Edit: Just saw the edit in your last post. Home Depot should have zip ties in the electrical section... saw them there last Thursday when I picked up a dimmer switch :)

Do u happen to have any picture of zip tie? I am not too sure what they look like.

pakkapon said:
Do u happen to have any picture of zip tie? I am not too sure what they look like.

Here ya go. Excuse the filthy PSU, but that's an unused yellow zip tie sitting on top of it and a used one holding the PSU cables together. Once you've got it tight, you can just snip the "extra" off, which I hadn't bothered to do here.

Attachments

• 2005-05-08 - 001s.jpg
    2005-05-08 - 001s.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 162
LabRat23 said:
I have had the same problem with metal worm gear hose clamps. It happened on my last home made waterblock which doesn't have excelent barbs to begin with.

Hey Labrat,

I have been making my own waterblocks too. I have also noticed that sometime the barbs do not seal very well, worm clamps or not. I then found out that sometimes the OD of the barbs differ, like a male female copper connection. If you go to home depot and find one of those brass adapters with two barb ends, stick some tubing over them and you will see that one side is actually tighter than the other. So what I'm trying to point out is that the OD of the barb was probably wrong to start with.

Bryan D.

PS - Your blowhole is very well done... but I'll let you know that our case fans don't blow directly behind them, alot of their actual blowing is to the sides of the fan, which your blowhole is blocking. If you look at the exit side of your fan, it is not a true circle, it is only round at the mounting points, because the fan blades are pushing alot of air away from the hub than perpendicular to it. So what I am trying to say is... make that blowhole match the exit shape our your fan to make it more efficient... unless your not hurting for more performance... but you are in the OCforums!

well lets think about this guys....say u have a circular peice of hmm...rubber band, like mabe a thicker one. What happens when u try to make it smaller by applying pressure from all angled from the outside so u make it smaller? It obviously crinkles. Now think about the same thing w/ WC tubing and clamps...mabe its crinkling and letting water out through the crinkle...u cant just make the tube smaller w/ out the material going somewhere DUH.

GAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.. Went to home depot just now, apparently they close early on sunday.. This is so frustrating. After some searchgin through the forum, people apparently have had quite a trouble using metal worm clamp. Seem like zip tie and spring clamps are the best choice.

Bryan D, I'm confused. Can u elaborate some more..?? I dont understand how my blowhole could be blocking anything since two other fan spots are way below them, one in front and one in the rear.

Edit: The Home Depot I went to didnt have the spring type clamp. Gonna go to the other one tomorrow and hope they will have it. If not, I found one at Mcmaster.com , Can someone check if these are the right one? Product #7329K13. Can anyone who has experience with spring clamp tell me if these are the right one? I will prolly get cable ties (page 1337) but I dont know which to get. Gonna get the strongest one possible.

Last edited:
jcw122 said:
well lets think about this guys....say u have a circular peice of hmm...rubber band, like mabe a thicker one. What happens when u try to make it smaller by applying pressure from all angled from the outside so u make it smaller? It obviously crinkles. Now think about the same thing w/ WC tubing and clamps...mabe its crinkling and letting water out through the crinkle...u cant just make the tube smaller w/ out the material going somewhere DUH.

I dont think that shouldnt be a problem if the tubes, barbs, and clamps are of the same size, but it is when you use worm type metal clamp because those dont apply the pressure evenly; thus, creates a tiny leak spot. With zip tie and spring clamp, though these might not be as strong, they give out pressure evenly and still tight enough to make it leak free.

pakka:

get zipties and the gun, i know you can use dykes/pliers to tighten the zip ties but you really dont feel the pressure and how tight it is, nor is it as effective as using the tool actually made for it. i got like the 100 pack, dont get less then 30.. you will run out experimenting and will prob use it for other stuff too. spring loaded doesn't really have adjustable tightness.. i highly recommend zips

yeah, I'm also planning on getting those also. My plan is to get those guns and spring clamps and experiment with them. Are there any zip tie you recommend? I heard that some cheapo zip tie got loose after few months. Is this the same with you..??

pakkapon...waht kinda pump is that? i cant see it in the pic...nice hiding of it. BTW looks awesome.

It's Dangerden DDC 12V. It should be at the bottome of HD rack. Hopefully I can get the system running soon.

Edit: Woohooo.. I have 2 stars now.

nooo spring clamps lol!!

get the regular brand zip ties. they are most likely the most expensive ones.. all i see is $15 or $25 on my credit card bill so i dont know which lol, they were black and the gun is right next to the ties.. the ties say something about UV on them

If you look at your blowhole, it is a circle (a pretty darn good circle at that... nice workmanship), now look at your fan. Notice how it has a groove at each corner and it is not just a straight cylinder. The grooves are there so that the airflow won't be hampered of leaving the way it wants to leave. It's hard to explain but try hover your hand over the sides of a fan... you will notice the air comes out at an angle and not straight out.

Here is a pic of my blowhole trying my best to utilize the effects of the fan's exhaust characteristics.
50l9p3

Bryan D.

nstabl: Thanks dude, Hopefully Home depot will have what i want.

Bryan D: Ahhhh Ic ic.. Yeah my blowhole is too small currently. But I was happy I got that part done, though I will prolly do what u suggest later, maybe sometimes after I move back to Thailand. Too lazy now.

Update: Got myself zip tie and a gun today. Leak testing right now. So far, no leak no matter how much I tilt. Though putting the tie with gun is hard in some areas because it is really crowded here. Maybe I will start up my system soon.

ls7corvete said:
Wash wet parts with isopropyl alcohol to remove any excess water, then let dry thouroughly before starting the computer.
I Hate to disagree with you ls7corvete but I'm disagreeing on the point that you just blindly stated that without mentioning a major component. Never expose Acyrilic to Isopropyl it will cause it to crack and break.

'parts' means actual electronics - i cant think of one component on your motherboard or vid card that would be made of acrylic...

Back