• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for Advise on new computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mandingo

Registered
I am going to be building a new computer for online gaming. Im kinda a newb at this sort of thing, but after many hours of reasearch, this is what I came up with. Please take a look and give me any advise or feedback on this computer. Im not planning on Overclocking, im gonna just run it stock.

Case - Thermaltake Soprano ATX Mid tower
PSU - OCZ Powerstream 520w
Mobo - DFI Lanparty Ultra-D Nvidia Nforce Ultra ATX Skt 939
Processor - AMD 64 3200+ Venice 1ghz Skt 939
Hard drive - Seagate Baracuda 7200.7 SATA
Memory - Twinmos 1gb (2x512mb) 184-pin DDR SDRAM
Video - eVGA Geforce 6600GT 128mb 128-bit PCI-Express
Drive - Sony DVD 16x+CD-RW 52x32x52
Drive - Sony CD-RW 52x32x52
Floppy - Sony 1.44 MB Disk drive

The Drives and the Floppy I already have, they are coming out of my soon too be old computer, the rest will be new purchases. Appreciate any and all feedback.

I would get the 7200.8 rather than the 7200.7 and you should consider some other kinds of RAM, I'm not sure if that is any good depending on if you are ocing. Also if you do heavy gaming you might want to at least consider a better video card. Depends on your needs.

Well, I never thought of that. Does it come with a heatsink? Im getting the AMD 64 3200+ Venice from Newegg but it doesnt say if it comes with a heatsink. Dont most of them come with it?

Mandingo said:
Well, I never thought of that. Does it come with a heatsink? Im getting the AMD 64 3200+ Venice from Newegg but it doesnt say if it comes with a heatsink. Dont most of them come with it?

If it's retail, then yes. If it's OEM, then no.

even if you aren't ocing it's good to get a decent heatsink, things can get a bit ugly if your cpu starts overheating

I don't like the case and on newegg, unless the picture of the processor is a box then its OEM. I realized that WAY back and went out to buy a nice zalman.

-1cem4n

Yes the picture is a box and it says retail. Just dont wanna buy a heatsink if its not needed. Im running out of money. Will it be ok for nw with the stock one if Im not Ocing?

My Two Cents

The fans and heatsinks that come with the AMD retail cpu's do a satisfactory job.However when you read enough reviews you will realize that there are a lot of aftermarket combos that will keep your cpu cooler.If money is a factor I wouldn't be afraid to use the AMD version's. I would watch my temps and plan on upgrading to a stronger fan and heatsink when I could afford it.

nealric said:
Why?
There really is no reason not to.

This is OVERCLOCKERS forums you know. Its not the people who run their hardware stock forum :D

Don't be so rude, I started out here with no idea how to Overclock and now I overclock like a fiend. He will bite the bullet later down the road so just let things be. As for the AMD heatsink, it is a superb heatsink for a stock one. Do yourself a favor though and ditch the generic thermalpaste for some nice Artic Silver 5. If you don't know how to apply it, go to the artic silver website.

-1cem4n

I started out here with no idea how to Overclock and now I overclock like a fiend.

Exactly. I wasnt trying to be rude, I was pointing out what he might not have realized or understood (that there is no reason not to overclock)

I would bump that Venice down to an OEM 3000+ and then get a decent heatsink and fan (XP-90) and then simply overclock to 3200+ speeds. Then you'd have low temps and a 3200+.

^damn good advice the venice 3000's been oc'ing like they're in a race to take over the world. at stock voltages with the extra $50 in a decent HS & fan you'd easily have the 3200+ speeds (so, same speed, better cooling... problems?)

not to mention you'll start to catch the oc-fever ;)

Back