• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fortron 400W or Thermalrock 450W?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

masterwoot

PSU advice please for a non-oc system (build for friend).

Needs to power:
3200 Winnie w/ stock HSF
MSI K8N Neo4-F mobo
6600GT PCI-Ex Video card
1gig ram
2 hard drives
2 optical drives
4 case fans

Here's what he's wanting to pick between:
Thermalrock (thermaltake) 450Watt
FSP (fortron) 400Watt

I recommend the FSP (Fortron Source) 500W , but he'd rather not spend that much more.

Again he's NOT going to OC. Yes he does need the 24-pin connector.

Any suggestions are very welcomed.
Thanks

all three of those psus will have no problem powering that rig. i'd prefer the ax500 fortron myself, but if he'd get a kick out of the blingy digital watt-meter then why not?

on another note, in the cyber deals forum you can get an ax500 for $69 shipped.

If you were overclocking then I'd recommend the Fortron for the little extra juice, but in this case since I doubt your friend gets off at the thought of having a bigger e-Penis with the Fortron, both units would do well.

In this case it's a matter of aesthetics, since your friend might or might not like the digital readout, or maybe the extra fan that comes with the Thermaltake could save you a little cash later.

I thought both would be fine, but wanted your opinions/advice.

He's leaning toward the Thermalrock. He thinks the extra couple bucks is worth it for the fan and 50W higher "rating."

Thanks for the input.

Back