• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have decided to go Dothan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sucka said:
Where did you get the adapter?
Got mine at ewiz. They are in Cali and will call you to confirm your first order. Still haven't hooked everything up, as I have some work to do this week and I need to work out bios issues; my board, P4P800-d-Deluxe, is not officially supported yet, so I will have to use another bios, which can lead to some problems...

Sjaak said:
updated financial status

lol, this will be fun watching the $$ creep on up!

good luck, eat ramen noodles, wash your clothes by hand in the sink, and remember, you don't really have to flush every time you use the washroom. :)

Gautam said:
Check this out folks. Mounting the HSF seems to be the only hiccup, and it looks like we're making headway in getting that solved.

so we can use the hsf/blocks that use the clips.... we just need a heatspeader then? i thought the added height of the adpater would cause problems.

i suxor at tring to make those pics :/

*edit*
post #53 http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=869435#post869435
the guy used foam pads punched out with a hole punch. Like the pads that use to come with some Amd HSF's

Last edited:
i915GMm review

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=pm915&page=1

For those curious, the AOpen 915GM motherboard allows you to alter the CPU multiplier downwards from the default CPU multiplier, and you can also adjust front side bus frequencies in 1 MHz increments. You can also manually set DDR timings and frequencies (although frequency selection does not appear to work at this time). However, the board does not allow for overvolting the CPU or the DDR memory modules, so it will not be a terrifically great overclocking platform.

Could probably still do the pin mod tricks. Its still a 300$ board though..

Added the link, thanks.

I have some more money coming in next week. I have found a Dothan 1.6 533bus on ebay for 140 Euro's, will buy it ASAP.

Wicked idea. Great to see all your planning... with that sort of ATD, you should produce great results.

So you've convinced me to go dothan. I got a sweet deal on a 1.8 dothan 533. It was only 190 dollars. Plus I picked up the adapter at ewiz. I plan on going straight to water cooling rather than messing around with air.

datura3 said:
So you've convinced me to go dothan. I got a sweet deal on a 1.8 dothan 533. It was only 190 dollars. Plus I picked up the adapter at ewiz. I plan on going straight to water cooling rather than messing around with air.

Welcome to the club :clap:

Any questions, comments, suggestions, findings...let us know :)

Well, I got the Dothan running on my P4P800-DX, but it's pain. None of the Asus bioses are really ready for prime time yet.

I do think it's funny all you guys are sweating over heatsinks and cooling. High-end HSF's really aren't necessary - the Dothans are 27 watts, maybe 33 overclocked. At some point, you really aren't getting much of a return, since you get so close to case temps, at some point you won't get much cooler unless you go to a chilled/vapor solution. The stock heatsink barely gets warm. For this reason, I think water would be nearly useless over a decent copper HSF (notice Macci is using chilled water, a huge difference since hs is going sub-ambient).

Your real concern is getting the right board-bios combo. This thread details the issues with each board. Remember, a lot of these uber-clockers are using extraordinary measures to set voltage and multipliers (most people are setting these high clocks in Windows using Clockgen), not to mention cooling. And flashing one of these boards is no cakewalk (unless you have a 478 processor to boot it from to flash, good luck!).

Right now I think the board to get is the P4P800-SE, but even that has some issues.

dothan27002001.jpg

This is done on a stock 6800GT and a very low FSB - can't really adjust the multi on this board. :bang head I am sure under the cascade I can get this thing running at least 3.3, but without the ability to change the multi, it's wasted clock. :cry:

Sorry to rain on parades - at some point if Asus releases some good bioses, this will be a cool gaming platform. It's just a little early.

Macci did gain about 100MHz going from air to water...every little bit counts...

Can't you use CPUMSR to change the multi?

Gautam said:
Macci did gain about 100MHz going from air to water...every little bit counts...
Yeah, but that's a lot of work for 100MHz. :p Point being, how much of a jump would one get from some highly-crafted copper HSF solution over the stock aluminum sink?
Gautam said:
Can't you use CPUMSR to change the multi?
Yes, but can't go over like 180 FSB without a crash, apparently a known issue on p4p800/p4p800-DX's. :(

That's why i'm going with a P4C800-E DLX.

I will add some stuff about the motherboards and compatibility tomorrow.

P4C800-E Dlx won't be no picnic either. If you've got an ATi card, you gotta boot at above 200 to get PCI clocks, and you lose CPC by doing that, which you can apparantly get back by using i875 tweaker within windows.

Gautam said:
P4C800-E Dlx won't be no picnic either. If you've got an ATi card, you gotta boot at above 200 to get PCI clocks, and you lose CPC by doing that, which you can apparantly get back by using i875 tweaker within windows.

Could you explain that a bit more?

If you boot in at 200 1:1, its enabled. However, if you boot in at anything else (i.e. overclock from the BIOS), its disabled, and you get a performance hit. Most people probably wouldn't notice it, Macci says its a 50MHz difference, but I want all the performance I can get. So what he does is boot in at 200, and then use clockgen to adjust from there, which incidentally unlocks the PCI/AGP bus...d'oh!

Now it seems like you can actually go ahead and oc from the BIOS, keep the PCI/AGP locked, and then enable CPC using this tweaker. Trying to figure out more, but the jerks at XS aren't very helpful for the most part.

On the whole not a major issue, but when benching you want every single one of those little MHZ you can get. I'll have a search as well.

Back