• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Interesting...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
I just got another 256MB stick of Crucial memory that ended up being CL3 instead of CAS2. This was my mistake and I ordered another stick today and made sure it was CAS2. The CL3 stick can just go in my dual D6VAA board since it has 256MB CL3 memory already.

What I found interesting is the benchmark. My old memory score on the VP6 with 256MB CL2 Crucial was 403/503. With 512MB of Crucial at CL3 it did 400/498. This is on 150MHz FSB.

Do any of you find it odd that I practically lost no bandwidth at all or does the extra 256MB make that much of a performance difference?

maybe your northbridge and memory controller is the limiting factor, and not the memory timing...?

Good a guess as any.

I had first assumed it had to be due to the chiopset since it was as close to identical scores as you can get.

Kind've makes me mad that I went and bought that other CL2 Crucial module now that I know it won't make any difference. I needed extra memory anyways.

Well, I got my new 256MB module of Crucial CAS2 in and my benchmark jumped from what I listed previously to 426/529.

I guess the extra memory did help a bit in scores since no other changes from 256MB CAS2 were made.

Back