• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New rig possibilitys...ideas please?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M4dSc1ent1st

Registered
ok, i am currently running this 'rig':

Athlon 2400XP
MSI KT6V
64Mb Radeon 8500LE (saphire)
2*256 PC2100 RAM (DDR?)
SB Audigy S/C
WD 80Gb 7200rpm 2Mb Cache (need a bigger drive)
Arctic Cooling TC2 HSF
17" LG Flatron
Generic Case
250W PSU

Im thinking of upgrading. I will use the computer for gaming and general use, no prgramming or encoding.

So i was thinking that AMD would be a better way of going. s939 is the standard now (i believe, esp in comparison to sktA).

Can someone recommend a good rig for my needs? I am at a lost when it comes to the PCI-e and SLI graphics stuff. Also, it would be cool if i could have a rig to moderately oc.

Also, the TR XP-90/120s with a undervolted fan better than the Zalman 7000Cu widgit?

oh - and what about the Chirftec BX cases? cr*p or ok . I would like a case with a door - and i dont like the Antec 3000BLK etc - ugly!

Thermaltake Tsunami anygood?

Oh, a price for the Rig would have to be about £400-500 (erm i'm guessing about $800 ?? i dont know the conversion rate)

So come on, build me a rig....plz!?!?

Last edited:
Well, I'm not sure about UK vendors, but here's something you might want to look into:

*Chieftec Dragon Case (Tsunami's are great, but you can save a bundle going with Chieftec, and they're still great cases! -- i personally own both)
*2x512mb OCZ (or other flavor, Corsair, Kingston, Pqi, etc) Value RAM
*3000+ Venice (amazing oc'er, or if you really want to save some money go with a 2800+ Winchester, though I would strongly recomend spending a bit more for the Venice)
*DFI UT NF4 Mobo, again, a bit more of an expenditure up front, but a strong mobo.
*NEC 3520A DVD-R
*Seagate Barracuda 160g w/NCQ
*6600GT Pci-e video card (if you could swing up to a 6800GT or x800XL if you like ATI then that would be preferable, I say 6600GT because it also leaves you open for SLI down the road if you want to do an SLI mod on your board)
*XP-90 w/HSF of choice

Don't forget little things like: mouse, keyboard, speakers. keep your current stuff if you can (like monitor) and it will save you a bit of cash.

Good luck! Feel free to post more q's! :)

oh, and Welcome to the forums!! :welcome:

I don't have much experience with athlon, but definitely go with an xp-120 if possible. It is superier to even the zalman 7700cu, which I have also run, and a lot more effecient with a quiet fan setting. :welcome:

here is a wishlist i made for you. it has everything except the case which i thought i would let you chose. this stuff is from newegg.com. i dont know what retailers you guys use over there.

PC

this equals 570 euros, according to the currency converter i found on google. i hope this gives you an idea of what you want. this rig will oc pretty descently. and has a bigger hd ;)

ryanmartini said:
here is a wishlist i made for you. it has everything except the case which i thought i would let you chose. this stuff is from newegg.com. i dont know what retailers you guys use over there.

PC

this equals 570 euros, according to the currency converter i found on google. i hope this gives you an idea of what you want. this rig will oc pretty descently. and has a bigger hd ;)

Cheers- but the link just send me to newegg logon screen (that meant to happen) i dont have an account, and there is no point me setting one up since they dont ship to UK (they want my CC details).

Thanks for the effort tho - hope to see it soon :)

Nebulous said:
Here ya go: XP-120 hsf. I don't know if oxide ships internationally tho :-/

its a cool looking HS! Pricey tho!! £35 in the UK, compared to £25ish for the zalman. But from what i have read it is the best out there...and give better functionalilty compared to the zalman. I can have a fan on it controlled with a controller (duh) and have it quiet and then rack up the rpm for gaming, oc-in right??

I think i mite hold off buying anything unitl august....juct cos there will be a slight decrease in prices (hopefully). Keep recommending rig tho plz.

M4d

Yeah. I would do some more research on the heatsinks so you can get one that will fit properly on the mobo. These 2 big guyz may block the NB or knock into a cap or something. It's been known for large heatsinks to hit certain parts of the mobo. Check your mobo for compatabilities and clearance issues just to be on the safe side ;)

And if the xp-120 doesn't fit the motherboard, go for the xp-90 or xp-90c. The xp-90c even cools better than the 120 according to some. And the xp-90 is a great "budget" buy.

Back