• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP SP1 or SP2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
caincha said:
Well I don't care what people say! SP2 sux big time!!
After I installed it everything is slower. AV, P2P, IE, spend more time booting, etc...
I'll try to remove it, but ain't expecting anything anymore...

BTW, is there a way that SP2 would block P2P..?
Maybe because RIIA (or is it RIAA..? doesn't matter anyway :p) MS pulled a update that would cause malfunction on P2P softs...

And if it hasn't happened yet can it be done in the future?
Anyone knows anything about it?

it will enable your windows firewall so that will definantly slow down your p2p and all that yada.

i use ie never had a problem with it once. i also use sp2 now i waited a while after it came out to see about teh bugs and whatnot but now i use it and dont have a single problem with it (after turning off a bunch of crap it sets up) and my benchmarks havent changed at all.

As far as I can remember, the firewall is already enabled on WinXP....
SP1 and SP2 only enhances that feature by fixing bugs, etc...

Having Trouble

i have reinstalled my windows to with SP2. I got a AMD 2200+ System with GeForce4 MX 440SE card with 64 MB. after installing the drivers i am not getting the full 64MB Memory. it show 32 MB instead kindly help me in this regard. Thanks

Personally i use SP1. Wasn't a fan when SP2 came out, and haven't bothered testing it again since then.

You haven't tried yet? Then don't! :p
BTW-even w/out SP2 you still have XP's firewall enabled, am I right..?
Just checking ;)

Sucka said:
Personally i use SP1. Wasn't a fan when SP2 came out, and haven't bothered testing it again since then.

i wasnt a fan of it either (mostly because of netoworking problems i was hearing about) but i use it all the time now and dont have any complaints. benchs dont seem to be effected by it from no sp to sp1 to sp2 the numbers all stay within the same range for me once ive disabled all the extra bloat that comes with them.

As far as I can remember, the firewall is already enabled on WinXP....
SP1 and SP2 only enhances that feature by fixing bugs, etc...

sorry i should have said that installing sp2 would REenable the firewall if its was previously turned off.

I was a SP1 user in the past, and switched to SP2. Like Hawtrawker I haven't seen any issues at all with benching, or any bugs of any kind. It does setup a firewall which is just added security. I wouldn't rely on *just* that firewall, but any firewall is better than nothing. In this day an age of script kiddies, low life black hats, and these Maylaysian pukes that send the world virii, I would not plug my Ethernet cable into ANY computer without a FW, ALL of the latest updates, and a *good* AV Software program. Without it, I might as well paint a target on my computer, because it would only be a matter of time before I got nailed with one of those "newsmakers".

Configure the system right, and be certain it's stable, and there should be no problems at all with it.

Back