• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP SP1 or SP2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When I installed SP2, my benches went down 50-100 points. Not a huge change, but noticible in 3DMark 03 and 05 for sure.

I agree. for some reason things go a tad better with SP2 over SP1, and original XP. this even applies to things like superPI, and Pifast too. Dunno why, but seems to help a tad.

I personally refuse to use SP2 because of how buggy is it. My older bro (not AMD Phreak, another one), installed it on my dad's computer and it made his comp lock up every 4 or so hours, and caused it to stop seeing his hard drives. A few other customers of AMD Phreak and I's (we own DBNetworkz) have installed SP2 on a few computers and it's caused them to stop seeing the network, and one of them just wouldn't boot.

Don't remove SP2 after you've installed it, or your computer won't boot at all anymore.

Celeron_Phreak said:
But IE is slow naturally, and it's full of security holes!

Firefox all the way baby. :D
LOL I know that :p
But my IE is even slower now that I have sp2... :rolleyes:

Celeron_Phreak said:
Don't remove SP2 after you've installed it, or your computer won't boot at all anymore.
I've never had that issue. I've had to remove it from four different computers, and no problems. Maybe you removed it in some foul and wretched way of which Windows XP was not fond of? :shrug:

Well I don't care what people say! SP2 sux big time!!
After I installed it everything is slower. AV, P2P, IE, spend more time booting, etc...
I'll try to remove it, but ain't expecting anything anymore...

BTW, is there a way that SP2 would block P2P..?
Maybe because RIIA (or is it RIAA..? doesn't matter anyway :p) MS pulled a update that would cause malfunction on P2P softs...

And if it hasn't happened yet can it be done in the future?
Anyone knows anything about it?

I have to install SP2 on a computer shortly so if it works great if it doesn't i'll tell you how to unistall it since I can't just wipe the HD on that computer.

Seriously why is there so much Microsoft hating? You don't have use anything Microsoft, heck I'll even send you a linux CD if you wan't to get away from Microsoft but have dialup.

However the dude asked which one is best for benching so obviously hes probably willing to take risk of it scewing up in his quest for higher benchmarking scores.

I'd just say go with SP1 for benchmarking, since it gives better results....at least, it did with me.

I don't hate Microsoft. XP Pro is a very nice operating system, without SP2 installed. All you have to do is be sure you have your regular security updates installed and anti-virus software. You shoudl be fine for half a year or so without having to run ad-aware, spybot and hijack this.

I don't hate MS either and don't even want to go w/ Linux too...
And I agree w/ Celeron_Phreak: XP Pro is a very nice operating system, without SP2 installed.... :rolleyes:

adriana said:
is there really any use for sp1 or sp2? i heard it just slows down your computer?

sp1 is needed for several newer computer functions. In fact, I believe it is required for USB 2.0 to operate correctly. It also fixes quite a few bugs and security vulnerabilities, so you should install it. sp2, on the other hand, seems to cause problems with a lot of computers so I do not personally recommend it.

They both add a lot of security and fix bugs in the system Sp1 is definatly good, but SP2 tends to slow down pc's, although I've noticed it's mostly gaming pc's that people notice it the most in.

Back