• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboards, cases

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elmo

I don't know anything about cases, so I just wanted to know something....

I have this really old IBM Pentium 100 with integrated 1MB video, there appears to be 3 PCI slots - a network card and SB16 takes 2 of them, so I have 1 PCI free. The case has 1 floppy drive bay and 1 CD drive bay. The computer has an 800mb hard drive. Everything is IBM brand except the monitor which is Compaq. The case is a DESKTOP case.

I was just wondering if it is possible for me to transfer my motherboard + celeron 466 that is currently in a TOWER case about 42cm tall with 3 floppy bays, 2 cd drive bays, 4 pci slots and 2 isa slots into the IBM desktop case after upgrading the motherboard + processor in my tower case?

If not, do I have any way at all of upgrading my IBM desktop computer without changing the case?

Thanks.

Is the desktop an AT or ATX compatible PC?

Most modern PCs are ATX and AT is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

Both types have different layouts and require their respective cases to fit in. One won't fit in the other without some degree of modding unless it's a case that accepts both and has snap in port plates to accompany whichever you use.

If that desktop case is ATX compatible you probably won't have a problem fitting your old parts in it and you can ignore all the garbage I wrote before, haha.

Good luck!

I believe most computer manufacturers also use proprietary MB and that basically are made to fit their brand cases. Don't think it's normally possible to just get a motherboard and fit it into a premade computer case.

Back