• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI equivilant to SLI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I have an x800xl on the way, so Ill let you know what is faster, but so far the 6800U is holding its own.

Bit of a mixed field after a few more benchmarks i read, but it seems that overall, at stock, the x850 is slightly faster then the 6800ultra.

@ AVG

first thing i read about AMR (about two weeks ago), was that it would be software based.

IWasHungry said:
That's Half-Life 2 dude...ATI owns NVidia in that test.
And Nvidia owns ATI in Doom3.

ATI has better D3D and Nvidia has better OpenGL. Thats why.

ATi still owns Nvidia in any single card setup. I wish ATi would get off their *** with the AMR.

WA2 said:
ATi still owns Nvidia in any single card setup. I wish ATi would get off their *** with the AMR.

Well...'owns' isn't quite the right word here. Read some of the links provided above. Some apps ATI wins, some apps Nvidia. overall, the 850 is a tiny bit faster.

I have not seen a SINGLE modded 6800 able to match a modded 800/850. And the "tiny bit" is suignuificant enouh for my point of single card speed.

WA2 said:
I have not seen a SINGLE modded 6800 able to match a modded 800/850. And the "tiny bit" is suignuificant enouh for my point of single card speed.

Uh, the fastest 6800 Ultra on the ORB in 03 is faster than both the fastest x800xt pe and x850xt pe.

{PMS}fishy said:
Uh, the fastest 6800 Ultra on the ORB in 03 is faster than both the fastest x800xt pe and x850xt pe.

OBVIOUSLY without any screen candy. Nvidia's weakest link im afraid, ATI have the AA and AF battle won.

{PMS}fishy said:
Last I checked the 6800s were spanking the ATI counter parts.

Granted the 9500/9700/9800 killed all of the FX cards, ATI really got it stuck to them when the 6600/6800 cards came out.

Yeah for sure, if you play Doom 3 all the time. Cant think of any other titles where a 6800 ultra spanks its better rival to be honest, especially with AA and AF. Of course should you have any links backing up your claim of spanking, i'd be happy to read them.

*sniff*
woooo
there's a looot of fanboyism in here right now!
albeit, the x850 series is slightly faster than the 6800 ultra.. but how much longer did it take to come out?
i think nvidia took the higher path of further developing the G70 instead of doing small little updates to the 6800 series to make it *slightly* faster

i think everyone needs to get off their fanboy soapboxes... and realize both sets of cards are GOOD
:)

Zulu-1 said:
*sniff*
woooo
there's a looot of fanboyism in here right now!
albeit, the x850 series is slightly faster than the 6800 ultra.. but how much longer did it take to come out?
i think nvidia took the higher path of further developing the G70 instead of doing small little updates to the 6800 series to make it *slightly* faster

i think everyone needs to get off their fanboy soapboxes... and realize both sets of cards are GOOD
:)

Facts doesnt equal FANBOY!!!!!

X800 XTPE is faster than 6800 Ultra in most tests aswell.

Does it really matter?

Are 1000 points in some benchmark worth arguing over?

No.

Just go with whatever floats your boat.

mybrainisawaffl said:
Does it really matter?

Are 1000 points in some benchmark worth arguing over?

No.

Just go with whatever floats your boat.

correct
nvidia could've done the same thing as ATI and upped the clocks and done little pointless updates to the 6800 series.. but they didnt, because it's pointless

and for the other person try reading before you post... :rolleyes:
im tired of these fanboys....

Back to the topic of ATI's AMR, what makes me wonder is why we will need new motherboards with new chipsets if the solution will indeed be based purely on software. Call me an idiot but calling the AMR solution purely a software solution makes me think all the current nVidia SLI boards should be able to support AMR.

Think of it this way: Without the SLI mod, the DFI Ultra-D mobos can still support 2 ATI cards independently. Yes, the cards can't be run in SLI but they can each be connected to a monitor and provide you with dual screen capability. As a result, if AMR is going to be a software solution, it sounds to me like all ATI has to do is modify their cards to make them SLI capable so that the SLI functionality can be enabled via drivers. That would indeed make AMR a software solution and would go in line with what they are saying by being able to enable it through drivers.

Since we are going to require new motherboards with new chipsets for AMR to work however, I am calling ATI's "software" solution BS. IF SLI can indeed be done through the drivers, you would think that just the CARDS would need to be modified to be in SLI configuration. Well, it sounds to me like ATI can't enable SLI just by modifying the graphics cards so they have to have a chip on the motherboard for it as well. How in the hell is that software??

I have to say here that altough I have been a strong supporter of ATI cards for a while (even to the point of being a fanboy), ATI's AMR solution has left a bad taste in my mouth so far because of the fact that everyone will have to dump their current motherboard and get a motherboard with an ATI chipset just to use it.

At least on the AMD platform (which is the preferred platform for gaming for the moment being), I don't see a lot of people here switching from great and proven motherboards with the nForce 4 chipset to some questionable motherboards with a brand new ATI chipset.

Don't take me wrong, the ATI chipset might turn out to be a great chipset but it is going to be NEW chipset. If you remember, nVidia's first chipset was not that spectecular either (altough I would still call it a success despite its bugs at the time because of all the new features it provided). As a result, it is simply unrealistic to expect ANY chipset from a manufacturer that does not have too much experience in chipsets to immediately come up with a super chipset matching or beating the current offerings from experienced chipset makers. There is a reason that the current nForce chipset has the number 4 after it. It also took nVidia many years to get to the point it is in right now.

For those of you saying that ATI already has made several chipsets so far, please spare me the hypocrisy. How many GAMERS or computer ENTHUSIASTs here are running with an ATI chipset based motherboard right now? ATI might make terrific chipsets for the OEM market but then again, so can every other chipset manufacturer on the planet. Making a chipset for the GAMER market (which nVidia has been concentrating on for years) will be a whole new ordeal for ATI.

As I stated above, I have been a supporter of ATI for a long time now and I have been waiting for Fudo and AMR to upgrade my system but now that the word is out that Fudo is nowhere near being released and that there is no information whatsoever about AMR other than it "working fine and is "coming out soon", I think I will just go ahead and grab a nice DFI-Ultra D motherboard with a couple 6800 GTs and enjoy some nice graphics right now, along with great overclocking capabilities provided by DFI and the nForce4 chipset.

The thing that really sucks for me is the fact that I got suckered into Everquest II. If there is anyone out there who thinks that an 6800 Ultra SLI setup is excessive today, take a look at this:

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzQ3LDg=

I can confirm firsthand what HardOCP is saying is true as well. Forget about AA or AF with this game, forget about 1600x1200 as well. If your super clocked phase cooled, ORB champion system can play this game smoothly with balanced settings, consider yourself lucky.

When I play this game with a 9700 pro and a 2.8Ghz P4, I feel like OC550 playing FarCry with his ti4200. :(

Anyway, this game has been the reason for me to finally want to upgrade and I finally have a motherboard and a CPU I want to upgrade to. Everything is there right now except a sufficient graphics card. Since I am not willing to wait and gamble on an ATI system however, it looks like I will be waiting for the nVidia G70 to come out.

Jesus that was a lot of bickering...

Avg said:
According to the Inquirer AMR will use a external connector, from other articles I've seen online AMR will be released along with their new card sometime this summer or early fall.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23265

soooooo no one else found this statement strange?

However, ATI decided to use an external connector simple because it didn’t want to release new series of Multi VPU capable cards powered with an internal connector. If it had done that, it would have ended up upsetting many customers who bought X800 or X850 cards. So ATI views this as an easy move for its customers to dual cards and can offer it to every single X800 and X850 card owner. A smart move for upgrade market.

Last time I saw a review no x850 had some sort of connector/pins that would hint towards some form of SLI...

My nVidia 7500 Super GTX Dual Core SLI is better than any card out there.

1200mhz gpu and 2000mhz ddr4

Back