• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trying to get 2 linksys routers to talk nice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fightingpiper

Ok i want to once again setup a hotspot at my house. I recently got back an ol POS wireless access point that I had lent to a friend cuz I finally got him to upgrade to a Linksys wrt54g.

Well I have my old befsr41 router jsut sitting there so I want to connect the WAP to the befsr41, have this connected to my wrt54g but have them on separate subnets so the people accessing on the Hotspot WAP can't see my personal LAN. I cant seem to get the computer connect on the befsr41 to access the net.

I used to have a similar setup but was using a DLink wireless router and it worked fine. had a connection from a wt54g port to the WAN link of the dlink and it worked fine but unfortunatly I gave that router away to my cousin who needed it when she bought her new house.

a couple of questions?

by subnetting, do you mean different ip address ranges or different subnet masks?

second why not run one wireless router with wep enabled or hiding you ssid?

one more thing, so the path is wired router----> wireless router----> Wireless Laptop ?

hospot.bmp
is what I want to do. With the right side not able to see my personal LAN on the Left.

Actually the right side can see the left side of the lan. They are given access into the local network.

I would try something like this so that you are firewalling yourself from your neighbor.

LAN.jpg

sorry about that, i got angry at my webhosting service and built an apache webserver

Last edited:
Back